chapter sixty

Rebecca and I walked in the doors of Dairy Queen and the place seemed empty, with the exception of the employees. The only sound in here was the humming of  the machines, employees chatting, low classical music and the crunching of our shoes as we walked towards the counter.

"Hi, welcome to Dairy Queen." a woman spoke with a wide grin, "What would you both like for today?"

"I'd like an Oreo Cookie Blizzard." Rebecca replied, then staring at me to order as well.

"I'll have what she ordered." I smiled.

Ana, as I read on her name tag, nodded and tapped away in the mini computer and gave us the receipt for our Blizzards. Afterwards, we both sat down in a regular table and I sighed. My birthday will be here in less than 24 hours and the thought of turning eighteen frightens me. I'll be a legal adult and will eventually have to buy a home or apartment all for myself. I have never left my mother's side and now that the time is ticking, the day will soon arrive.

Minutes later, Ana set down our cups and left with an, "Enjoy!" with the smile still on her face. I wouldn't know if she was pretending to be happy about having this job or if she really thinks this place is wonderful. Either way, she needs this and that's another reason why I'm afraid. I need to apply for jobs to save up some cash in case I do end up purchasing a home.

Mother never wanted me to work until I was 18, only because she knew she had the money under control. For the past years of my life, she has done one heck of a job. I couldn't be any more prouder of an amazing person like her.

As soon as Rebecca and I finished with our beverages, we thanked Ana and parted in our separate ways. I had forgotten the pile of papers waiting to be filled by ink and turned in the next few days. I had so much homework to be done but very little time.

Mother was waiting for me in the kitchen table with some papers, glasses placed on her nose and a pencil stuck on her ear. Noticing she was busy, I decided to head to my room upstairs and think about tomorrow. There was school and that's why I hated my birthday sometimes, the guys pick on me and say I'm getting old or even mention that it was another day my father won't attend but my dad is here, he always was now that I think of it.

He was Riker's father, mine too but I wonder what happened back then. How did my parents split up, how was the decision made on who takes who, or how would they react if they met.

Shaking these thoughts away, I decided to do some research. Bing is a website that helps others on finding a certain person. I wonder if my dad is there, or Riker. With that being said, I opened my laptop and typed away. I opened a tab and tapped YouTube for background music. Any genre was nice.

Mark Lynch

Was written on the search bar and I clicked search. I dragged the mouse to the first link. I couldn't really find anything necessary so I closed it and finished a couple papers. Afterwards, my feet took me to the restroom and I showered. Once done, I got comfy in my bed and only hoped for the best tomorrow morning.

- morning -

"Happy birthday Rossy-Poo! Wakey wakey!" M exclaimed, causing me to wake up to her beautiful face with my favorite chocolate cake in her hands.

"Yes, it is." I smiled as she leaned in to kiss me in the cheek. Throwing the bed sheets to my right, M placed the mouthwatering cake on my nightstand and crawled on top of me.

"Happy birthday, baby. Finally 16! You're getting older by the minute!" She squealed. I chuckled and kissed her as she wrapped her arms around my neck, my hands snaking around her waist, pulling her closer.