Chapter 36 'Decided'

Chapter 36 ‘Decided’

The light in the Room of Requirement was dim when Evanna woke which meant that evening had fallen.

Evanna slowly opened her eyes and keenly listened for any sound but there was pin drop silence in the room and also in the corridor outside. Thus, it was safe to leave but Evanna didn’t have the encourage to get to her feet even though her legs weren’t weak anymore.

The numbness in her left arm was starting to ease out giving glimpses of pain which Evanna would have to go through when there won’t be a single trace of numbness left in her arm.

But that wasn’t the reason as well. She knew she had to go to Dumbledore’s office straight from the Room of Requirement. After a lot of brainstorming, she had come to a conclusion, came to a decision. It was a decision so firm that no matter how much she tried to look at the other choices, her decision became more and more strong.

But to carry it out was the question she wanted Dumbledore to answer and for this purpose she gradually got to her feet, Narcissa’s ring which was in her lap fell to the ground with a light thud but Evanna took no notice of it. Even though she had gotten to her feet bit by bit but still her mind got dizzy and she hurriedly got hold of a nearby chair.

A few minutes passed as Evanna steadied herself then she emptied Draco’s rucksack carefully and filled it with her bed sheet which was pure white now as Draco had cleaned it with his wand.

Then inch by inch, she made her way out of the Room of Requirement and towards the Headmaster’s tower; her mind still going dizzy after every few steps she took but she kept on. The corridors were empty so surely everyone had gone to their common rooms by then as curfew time was near.

I would have to cast the dis-illusionist charm on myself on my way back,” Evanna thought, “I just hope I would have the strength to do it.”

She thought of the time just a night before when she had to do it. It was pretty hard to apply the charm in pain and weakness and according to Draco; the charm lifted off just as she had fell unconscious.

After about fifteen minutes, Evanna was in front of the Gargoyle and then in front of the vast doors that would lead her straight to Dumbledore’s office. She took a few moments and then knocked lightly on the wooden door.

No answer came and without a second thought Evanna turned on her heels and was about to leave when the doors opened.

“Ah! Evanna. Come in,” Dumbledore said, his voice tired.

 Evanna slowly turned and followed Dumbledore inside. The doors closed on their own accord.

“Sit,” Dumbledore gestured towards a seat in front of his desk.

Evanna hesitantly sat on the chair and looked around the room nervously. She didn’t know where to begin. To be honest, she didn’t want to do it anymore. Now, when the time had come; her decision wasn’t as firm as it was before. She was scared of what might happen if she managed to do it.

Dumbledore didn’t say a word. He kept on looking at Evanna with a steady glare which she did not return.

“Professor,” she finally managed to speak up. Her voice coarse because of the lack of use for hours.

“Yes?” Dumbledore asked, his glare the same.

“I… I want to…” Evanna gulped. Her throat was dry and Dumbledore had noticed that because he gave her a glass of refreshing water.

Evanna slowly drank it and said firmly, “I want to break it, Professor.” She finally looked up at Dumbledore.

“I knew this time would come but this soon! I wasn’t aware.”