Chapter 26 'Carrying It All Out'

Chapter 26 ‘Carrying It All Out’

Evanna was hurrying through the corridors towards the seventh floor. She was left in the Gryffindor common room to take some rest but exhilaration overshadowed her shaky legs, dizzy mind and hurting stomach. Her stomach was hurting because she had been carried to Gryffindor common room in an invisibility cloak with heavy books on her belly to show that Harry, Hermione and Ron were carrying books instead of the invisible Evanna.

They all had gone to the Great Hall for lunch and this was the best chance to get into the right room of the Room of Requirement.

This was it! It was the time Evanna had been waiting for the entire year. The truth was just one floor away from her. The stairs to all answers was just few steps away. A few more steps taken by her wiggly legs and she’ll be there. She’ll know everything. It would be like her one and only goal in life had been achieved.

Evanna walked as fast as she could on her ‘would-fall-anytime’ legs. Luckily, the corridors were empty because it was lunch time and she didn’t have to stop to answer nor greet anyone.

There it was; the wall behind which the Room of Requirement was hidden. Evanna stopped, breathed heavily, her heart beating fast and her mouth drying up.

Finally,” she thought, “I never thought I will be able to do what I’m about to do…” She clutched her left arm at the point where the Dark Mark was hidden and moved gently towards the wall, took her position, closed her eyes and started thinking and pacing;

“The room where dust lies, where valuable objects lay like their hopeless, where my plan would come to a beginning and an end.”

And she heard it; the same sweet sound of the door forming. Evanna slowly opened her eyes and there it was. At last that door she saw in her dream was right there in front of her with the same colour, with the same pattern engraved on it. She moved her hand over the beautiful door; it had the same feeling, the same texture.

Her hand moved towards the large bronze handle and she turned it down…

Just then, at the most wonderful moment, the sound of footsteps came from the left side of the corridor.

No, no, no,” she thought, “go away, shish sho sho, goooo,” Evanna said to the door but nothing happened.

The sound was becoming louder and louder as seconds passed.

“Evanna!” came a voice from the left side of the corridor. It was Harry.

“Ugh!” Evanna signed, turned and walked at a fast pace so that Harry wouldn’t be able to see the door.

He walked towards her.

No, no, no. Oh God help me!

“Harry! Thank God you’re here. I lost my way,” she said and pulled him away from the door.

“You lost your way?!” Harry inquired.

“Funny, isn’t it?” Evanna said, weakly smiling, “the reason; my dizzy mind and shaky legs.”

“Why didn’t you stay in your dorm and rested?”

“Ah? Oh, yes. I… I… I am hungry,” she added quickly.

“Oh, me too. Let’s go then. Hermione and Ron will be waiting for me. They’ll be delighted to see you too!”

“Oh yes.”

On this, they started walking away from the Room of Requirement. Away from it all; away from the door where the answers lied.

Evanna turned her head to look at the door. It was vanishing. Shrinking smaller, smaller, smaller and there it was just a small spot on the wall which was disappearing. Evanna died inside. She looked at Harry’s back with annoyance.

It was so near!” she thought, tears of defeat and anger collecting in her eyes.

Just as it vanished and Evanna was about to turn her head away from it; she saw someone enter the corridor from the right side but before she could see who it was. They turned away from the corridor towards the Great Hall…

*

The clock strokes twelve. The four of them sitting in the Gryffindor common room doing their homework and learning tests hadn’t talked to each other for about an hour. When suddenly Evanna, who had made up her mind that without confiding them in; it would be impossible for her carry out her plan, stood up and ordered;

“Harry, give me your invisibility cloak and the marauders map.”

The three of them looked up, looking utterly confused and stunned.

“Are you ok, Evanna?” Hermione asked, worried.

“I’m fine. I’ve never been better. Now, give me the two things,” Evanna concluded, determination overflowing from her tone.

Harry went to get them.

“Why do you need them?” Ron questioned.

“I’m going to find out what Draco Malfoy is up to.”

“But how?” Hermione asked, coming to sit nearer.

“I don’t know but I’ll try my best,” Evanna answered, not looking at them.

Harry returned, clearly he had heard what the others were talking about because he was smiling so widely that it was impossible for him to control it. He handed over the things and wished best of luck which Evanna pretended to ignore.

Ron also wished her luck but Hermione just looked at her, looking extremely concerned.  

She climbed out of the portrait hole and was in the dark corridor with the moonlight guiding her.

I won’t fail this time!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you liked it!!:]

Don’t forget to comment, vote, add to library and become a fan! :]

PREVEIW

‘The plan is going to be carried out soon. But what’s the plan?’

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------