Chapter 33 'Poisoned'

Chapter 33 ‘Poisoned’

 “How could you even think of doing such a thing?!” Evanna screamed just as she entered the Room of Requirement.

“What are you…”

“Oh shut up! Shut up! Don’t you dare deny it! I know you’re behind this just like you were behind that cursed necklace!”

Draco froze and his stare dropped to the floor.

“A poisoned mead!? A cursed necklace? Did you really thing these would reach Dumbledore?” Evanna hissed, “Look at me!”

Draco raised his head, “I th..thought.”

“You thought you are an amazing wizard and kill Dumbledore with these dumb methods,” Evanna shouted, flinging her arms.

“Tell me, why?” she hissed.

“I saw you and how weak you were getting. I know we don’t want to do this. Our heart isn’t in it! I just want to finish this!”

Evanna exhaled and said quietly, “The cursed necklace would have been checked before even entering Hogwarts, reaching Dumbledore was never in the picture and nor was I at that time so don’t you dare put it all on me. And a poisoned mead! Do you really think Slughorn would have gifted a delicious tempting looking mead to anyone?”

Before Draco could say anything, Evanna gasped and murmured, “How did he get the mead?”

Draco didn’t answer.

“You didn’t!”

“I...I used the…the imperious curse on... on Madam… Madam Rosemerta….”

Evanna gasped again and rubbed her hands on her face.

She gave a long stare to Draco who kept looking down and peeked a bit.

Evanna left giving a deep sign and closed the door with all the force she could muster. And the door gave a loud blast as it closed.

I hoped it wouldn’t be him!” she thought sadly.

Hope less, Evanna,” her conscious spoke.

Evanna hurriedly ran to the hospital wing, stumbling thrice in the way, to see Ron because of whom she had screamed at Draco.

She stopped in front of the hospital wing, fixed herself and hoped;

Please be alright, Ron. Please. Oh God help me,” she looked up at the ceiling with hopeful eyes.

Evanna slowly entered to find…

“So, all in all, not one of Ron’s better birthdays?” said Fred.

It was night; the hospital wing was quiet, the windows curtained, the lamps lit. Ron’s was the only occupied bed. Harry and Hermione were sitting around him; they including Evanna had spent all day waiting outside the double doors, trying to see inside whenever somebody went in or out. Madam Pomfrey had only let them enter at eight o’clock. And between that times; Evanna had received a lot of unsympathetic glances from Harry. Fred and George had arrived at ten past. And the saddest thing was that it was Ron’s birthday and Evanna had found a great gift for him which was now placed beside his bed.

“This isn’t how we imagined handing over our present,” said George grimly, putting down a large wrapped gift on Ron’s bedside cabinet.

“Yeah, when we pictured the scene, he was conscious,” said Fred.

“There we were in Hogsmeade, waiting to surprise him —” said George.

“You were in Hogsmeade?” asked Evanna as she walked towards them.