Chapter 35

Niall's POV

(Four hours ago)

Today was the day I was going to ask Jess to marry me. I've wanted to ask her since this last time I'm going out with her. And considering today is my birthday, it's going to be so much better.

I pulled up to James Avery's for the ring. I walked inside feeling nervous. What represents us? We've been through dark times, but our love brought light back into our relationship. Light overpowers darkness. So maybe an onyx ring.

A man around his forties stood at the counter. When he noticed me come
inside, he came over to me.

"I am Carl Dennis," the man informed me. "What do you need today, young man?" He asked, looking around the shop himself.

"Maybe an onyx ring. I'm planning on getting married to my girlfriend," I told Carl. He gave me a look of confusion and shock.

"How old are you?"

"22," I answered him, spotting the onyx rings. "And she's 19," I added going over to the rings.

"Young love," the man breathed. He came over to me. "So, specifically, what are you looking for?"

"I honestly don't know," I answered, scanning through the rings.

"Do you want a custom?" He asked. I turned look at him. Now thinking about it, it's really not a bad idea.

"Can you draw what I say?"

"I wasn't a sketch artist for nothing," he chuckled, grabbing a pencil and a notepad. I thought real hard of what I wanted, then I had an image.

"An onyx stone in the shape of a diamond," I said and he wrote something down. "Maybe silver wrapping parts of it. And make it a silver ring. And make parts of the silver around the onyx to have diamonds on it."

"Is that it?" He asked, setting the notepad on his lap. I nodded my head. He showed me the picture he drew, and it was exactly what I wanted.

(Picture of ring on side)

"Perfect."

"This ring may take around two hours to make."

"Perfect. Thank you," I told Carl. "Can you call when there's about half an hour left?" He nodded his head.

---

I got the ring and was now on my way to the destination; The Serpentine. I gave the boys the notecards to give to Jess. She should be with Harry right now, I think. I pulled up next to a tree to where she shouldn't be able to spot it.

I hopped in a canoe and paddled off to the middle of the lake. I just now spotted Jess walking over to a canoe herself. Her beautiful, brown hair blew through the wind, her eyes sparkling with wonder. God, she looks so beautiful. She's the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. She may seem normal to most people, but to me, she's extraordinary.

I think she saw me, because she started coming my way. Once her boat bumped into mine, I couldn't help but smile at her. I missed her too much.

"Hello Jessica," I said. She looked into my eyes, her brown eyes sparkling. I stood up carefully and got into hers. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," She smiled soothingly. I sat on the other side of her boat. "What did you have to ask me?"

I smiled and stood up again. It was now or never.

"Jessica, you don't know how much you mean to me. If I lost you again, I would just die. I don't know what I'd do without you. And I know we've only known each other for nine months, but I love you," I put my hand in my back pocket. I grabbed the box the ring was in. I took in a deep breath, feeling more nervous by each moment passing. I bent on my right knee and opened the box that had the ring in it. I noticed tears coming to her eyes. "Jessica Rozene Smith, would you do the honor of marrying me?"