23:59

As the hospital came into view, I tightened my grip on my mum's hand. She softly caressed my hand.

"Hi, we would like to visit the patient in room 200." She told the nurse at the counter.

"May I know what your relationship to the patient is?" The nurse asked.

"She's his girlfriend," she replied, pointing at me. The nurse scanned me with her eyes before showing us the way to the room.

When the door opened and the familiar sight greeted me, I couldn't help but hold my breath. My heart pounded like drums, and my feet felt heavier than usual. You were there, right in front of me.

"Ten minutes. I'll be waiting outside, okay?" My mum said, pulling me in for a hug. "You'll be fine."

I stepped into the room, closing the door behind me.

You looked the same as you did three weeks ago. Nothing had changed.

"I'm here," I sat down and whispered. "How are you?"

The beeping of the machines answered me.

"I can see clearly now. You look exactly like how I had pictured you." I paused. "Can you hear me? They said that you should be able to."

"I'm sorry I took such a long time to realise that you weren't doing well. I should have realised sooner. Would that have made a difference? I came to find you three weeks ago but they wouldn't let me talk to you. I only managed to get in this time because I pretended to be your girlfriend. Isn't that hilarious?"

"I'm leaving today. My mum found a cheaper place but it's six hours away from here. That's far, isn't it? Further than I had imagined. I'll probably attend college in that area."

"Did I tell you? My dream was to become a lawyer, but we couldn't afford it anymore. I hope I find something else that I enjoy doing, like you had said. I've always wanted to ask you why you decided to be a nurse. I guess that could be our twentieth question."

"Do you remember? We promised to ask twenty questions. We stopped at the nineteenth."

"I have to leave for the train station soon. My mum picked the midnight train so that we could save some money. It makes a lot of difference, you know," I joked.

"I miss you, I really do. I often find myself wondering if those three months were real. I remember the first time you came into my room, and the snow fight we had that night. Do you remember the doughnut? I felt so lonely on Christmas, but you showed up with a doughnut. It was the best Christmas present that I could ever ask for."

"There are still so many things that I don't know about you, so many things that I haven't shared with you. I thought that three months would be more than enough, but time passed by too quickly with you. If only we had three more months."

"I promised to not cry," I said, wiping the tear off my cheek. "You came at a time when I felt like I was losing everything. You made me forget about the divorce, about my family being split into halves. You were always so considerate. Your touch was always so warm and gentle. From the moment you came into my life, I knew that I could trust you. You were so special. You are so special."

"Please wake up. I miss you."

The doors opened. "We have to go," my mum whispered.

I took one final look at you. Were you ever going to wake up? I didn't want you to open your eyes to an empty room. My heart shattered at the thought of it.

"Honey?"

"One second, mum," I replied. I closed my eyes, tracing my fingers on your face. This was what you looked like. I wanted to engrave it on my heart.

I opened my eyes. Your skin was glistening in the moonlight. You looked so peaceful. I bent forward, placing my lips on yours.

I guessed this was where our story ended.