Chapter 27

*Jess's POV*
"I'm her girlfriend" I said after a moment.
"Oh" she looked me up and down, "Danni could have done worse, I suppose"
I made a little smile, "would you like to join me for coffee?"
She stared at me for a minute, "are you already trying to suck up?"
"Well you have to give me a chance"
"Actually I don't have to give you anything"
"Look lady, I just want to go get coffee and I thought you may want to join. I'm not asking you to be my bestfriend."
She smiled a little and grabbed her purse, "you're buying" she said walking ahead of me.

After we got to our table she asked how we met,
"Well she is a friend of my older brother and so used to come over to the house a lot. Then one day she just asked me out" I said not wanting to add in all the details.
She took a sip of her drink, "all you teenagers think you're so good at lying but you're not" she sat down her coffee and looked at me, "my daughter is in there on what could be her death bed while the girl she's dating is lying to me, wow. She may never be able to tell me how you met and you lie to me"
Her saying Danni and death in the same sentence struck me hard.
"It's true that she was a friend of my brother, but we met informally our first time when she hit on me, then I went to a party and this drunk guy was getting a little too touchy and Danni got him off of me." We bother stared at each other for a moment, "happy now?"
"Not quite" she said, "what did she tell you about me?"
I laughed, "besides the cursing her from age nine to age sixteen? Not much"
"Look you don't understand" she said crossing her arms on the table, "it was hard for me back then"
"Why did Danni move in with her sister?" I asked.
"Because I thought it would be best for her"
"You know, adults aren't any better at lying than teenagers"
She picked at her nails while keeping eye contact, "her and her father had a big fight because she wanted to wear some of her brothers clothes instead of her own"
I didn't say anything I just looked down at my coffee, I wanted to cry for Danni but I knew this wasn't the time.
After a few minute of me tapping my coffee cup and her staring out the window, she spoke without looking at me.
"Do you love her?" She asked then looked at me.
Without another breath I replied, "yes"
Then she looked away and I stared at her for a moment, "Do you love her?"
She waited for a moment then stared at me, "of course I do".
"Why did you hesitate?" I asked.
"I didn't hesitate" she said, "it's called breathing"
"No, what you did was called hesitating and what you're doing now is called lying"
"You don't know what I was doing"
"I know that it's hard for you to love her because the man that controlled you didn't"
She pushed her chair back and stood up, grabbing her purse.
"You have no idea what you're talking about" she started to walk away the turned back, "and don't expect me to let you see her" then walked.
I jumped up and called out for her,
"Which one of us do you think she really wants to see?!"
She stopped for a moment the kept walking.
I sat back down, ignoring the stares from everyone around me.