Chapter Twenty-Two: Panic

We were back at the Motel, in full research mode. Dean was reading Dad's Journal, Sam was on his laptop and I was reading a giant thick book. I was reading so much I was getting a headache. I slam my book shut.

"So, every religion in every world culture has the concept of demons and demonic possession, right? I mean Christian, Native American, Hindu, you name it." I tell them, hoping they had something.

"Yeah, but none of them describe anything like this." Dean pointed out. I groaned and put my head against the book. I hated research.

"Well, that's not exactly true. You see according to Japanese beliefs, certain demons are behind certain disasters, both natural and man-made. One causes earthquakes, another causes disease." Sam says. I lift my head up a little.

"And this one causes plane crashes?" Dean said with disbelief. "All right, so, what? We have a demon that's evolved with the times and found a way to ratchet up the body count?"

"Yeah. You know, who knows how many planes it's brought down before this one?" Dean snorts and starts to walk away from the journal. I sit up fully.

"Dee?"

"I don't know, guys. This isn't our normal gig. I mean, demons, they don't want anything, just death and destruction for its own sake. This is big. And I wish Dad was here." The room fell silent, we were not ready for this at all.

"Yeah. Me too." Sam says softly. Then Dean's phone rings, part of me was hoping it was Dad.

"Hello?......Oh, hey, Jerry." My heart dropped. It was Jerry not Dad, we were on our own. "Wha—Jerry, I'm sorry. What happened?..............Where'd this happen?...............I'll try to ignore the irony in that.........Nothing. Jerry, hang in there, all right? We'll catch up with you soon." Dean hangs up and looks at us.

"Another crash?" Sam asks.

"Yeah. Let's go." Dean ordered, as he put some clothes in his duffel.

"Where?"

"Nazareth."

"All right lets go." I say as I grab my bag.

"Not you." Dean says with a stern look.

"You are joking right?" 

"No, Kat stay here, research more and we will meet up at Jerry's." 

"Hell no, I am coming with you two." I say but Dean's face falls into concern.

"Kat, please." I groan and fall onto the bed.

"Fine."

-------------------------------------------------

Jerry was looking at the stuff Dee and Sammy brought back. He was analyzing it in his microscope.

"Sulfur?" Dean asked, he was very impatient. Jerry nods and falls back into his seat. "Well, that's great. All right, that's two plane crashes involving Chuck Lambert. This demon sounds like it was after him."

"With all due respect to Chuck, if that's the case, that would be the good news." Sam said, but I shook my head. 

"What's the bad news?" Dean asks me, knowing I knew something.

"Chuck's plane went down exactly forty minutes into flight." I tell him, but Dean still didn't get it.

"And get this, so did flight 2485." Sam said trying to get Dean to understand.

"Forty minutes? What does that mean?" Jerry asked. I turn to him.

"It's biblical numerology. You know Noah's ark, it rained for forty days. The number means death." I tell him, Jerry shivers and goes white.