Chapter XXV (The Real One, I Swear on the River Styx)

A/N: I normally don't do this to open a chapter, but I feel like an apology is in order. I'm sorry for making you think that the last chapter was a real update. I just...um...was feeling evil that day. Embracing my Wicked Witch of the West side, I guess. (<- If you know me in real life, you'll understand the reference) Without further ado, here is chapter 25!

Luke's POV

After the Food Fight Fiasco, Brianna seemed to be settling in nicely. Now, to face the bigger problem-I liked her. A lot. Like, not just as a friend. I just didn't want to admit it, and Lakyn knew that. I didn't want to admit it for multiple reasons, one of those being that Lakyn would then be all 'I told you so' and, besides, I didn't think Brianna liked me anyway.
A few weeks after she had arrived, I was supervising swordplay in the arena. Mostly because I was watching Brianna...Anyhow, she was currently practicing with Annabeth. Her sword was an older one that she had picked up in the armory, yet it fit her perfectly. I was watching Travis and Conner try to pulverize each other when I heard Annabeth's voice.
"Hey, Luke!" she called.
I walked over, curious to see what Annabeth had to say. "So, did Brianna beat you?"
"Yeah, but I don't really care," she replied. "Actually, I think that Brianna wanted to challenge you." Brianna shot her a furious glance. I raised an eyebrow.
"Really?" I asked, looking at her.
"It was Annabeth's idea," She replied. "But, I mean, if you want to..." Brianna allowed her voice to trail off, as if waiting for an answer.
"Alright," I responded with a crafty smile. I'd been waiting for this opportunity. I wanted to see how talented she really was. I drew my sword and we began circling each other. Everyone else, noticing us, came over and formed a loose ring around us. I lunged at her, and she blocked my strike easily. That's when she tried a slash of her own. I parried it almost effortlessly, but I knew that I'd have to be cautious. Brianna wasn't likely to go outside her comfort zone.
"Didn't think that I could do that?" she asked me teasingly.
"Um, maybe," I replied hesitantly.  I was wondering if she'd try anything else-it was mostly just cat and mouse. Finally, I pressed her so that she was literally keeping me at bay with just her sword horizontally across her body. I made sure not to get too close, but enough to make her squirm.
"Give up yet?" I asked her in a teasing whisper, even though it didn't seem likely for her to give up this easily.
"Possibly," Brianna whispered back, going limp. I stopped pressing her with a great amount of force, not wanting to hurt her. As soon as I relaxed, she threw herself upward, knocking me off balance-and my sword across the arena. Stunned, I allowed her to claim her victory.
"I believe this round goes to me," she said, smiling. Everyone looked on in stunned silence. I nodded, conceding her win. I may have held the top spot for a while, but even the best is beaten sometimes. That's when I heard Annabeth gasp. I glanced up, feeling a warm light on me.
"You've been claimed," I said, smiling. She looked up, and saw the owl hologram just beginning to fade. Brianna had just been claimed by Athena, just as I'd thought she would be.
Annabeth spoke. "Well, I guess I have a new sister!"
"Right," I nodded and then said, "Okay, get back to training. Brianna, Annabeth, come with me to the Big House. We need to tell Chiron." The newly claimed daughter of Athena just nodded, surprised. We headed towards the Big House, Annabeth pulling in front of us, letting the two of us alone.
"So, you're okay with me beating you?" Brianna asked me tentatively.
I smirked. "I'm perfectly fine with it, as long as you promise not to constantly bring it up."
Brianna smiled. "Luke, you know me better than to believe that I'd do that!"
I shrugged. "Just trying to make it clear. Anyhow, I'm kinda glad that you got claimed by Athena, not Hermes." I was alluding to the fact that I liked her. I just didn't know if she understood. Part of me-like, 1/4-was grateful that she didn't respond. The other three quarters...not so much. I mentally kicked myself. Here Brianna was, confused and still surprised that she beat me, and then here I was, thinking that she liked me. She had much more important things to be thinking about! What the Hades had I been thinking?