Chapter XX

Brianna's POV

I walked from the Big House behind Luke. We headed out to what seemed like fields. He called back, "We're going to the archery fields. I want to introduce you to some people." I nodded. We reached the target closest to us, I saw a girl maybe a year younger than Luke and me. Luke said to her, "MC, I want you to meet the newest demigod here, Brianna." She released an arrow, and then turned around. I heard the arrow hit the target with a thud. I noticed that it was a bull's-eye.

"Nice hit," I said. I'd found out the best way to make friends was to start with something simple, but one that wouldn't fail to flatter: a compliment.

"Thanks," she said. MC turned back around and looked at the arrow. "It could've hit a little more center, though." Luke smirked.

"Always the perfectionist," he said, shaking his head. "Brianna, this is MC, a daughter of Athena."

"Hey!" MC said, turning back around. "There's always room for perfection, and, anyhow, you're the same way with your swordplay!" She turned to me, brushing her caramel colored hair back from her face. "He's always like this. Don't mind him." I saw Luke open his mouth to protest, but MC continued. "My name isn't actually MC, by the way. It's Emily Carlisle." I nodded expecting as much. I mean, how many girls do you know that are christened with a two-letter name? But, I decided right then that I liked this MC girl. She was nice.

"So..." Luke said. "I'm just gonna go..."

"I don't think so," MC said. "You're not leaving me alone here with a girl I hardly know!" I tried to pretend to look offended, but the look on Luke's face told me that I was failing miserably. We all laughed, and I think it was then that I began to feel at home.