Chapter XIX

Luke's POV

When Chiron dropped the bomb that the gods did exist, Brianna looked stunned. She quickly recovered, though, and said, "How is that possible? The gods were just explanations. Ways to make sense of what we can use science for." The sky rumbled angrily.
"Brianna," Chiron said. "What you called ' great science' back when the cell was first discovered, well, it was revolutionary. But now, mortals have discovered different forms of life, and that is considered great science." I picked up on his train of thought.
"Brianna, what he's saying is that what explained years ago may not explain today. But there are some things that explain constantly. Such as the gods. They themselves change from time to time, yes. But their embodiments, their spheres of power never change. Zeus is the god of the sky; Hera the goddess of marriage. Each day, and each night, Apollo and Artemis take some form and drive the sun and moon chariots. Poseidon can cause it to storm at sea. You get my point. They still exist, and, well, they have kids with mortals. We're the result of that. We are living, breathing proof that they exist," I finished. Brianna looked even more surprised. She shook her head.
"But I'm normal," she said, almost as if trying to convince herself. "I'm not a demigod." Chiron smiled sympathetically.
"Brianna, the fact that you made it past the camp borders is proof that you are a demigod. You were given ambrosia and nectar, to heal you from Anna's attack. It's the food of the gods. Only immortals and demigods can eat it without spontaneously combusting," he said.
"Even for demigods, it's extremely dangerous to eat it," I continued. "However, you ate it, and you're still here, so..." I let my voice trail off, implying what I think Brianna knew: She was a demigod. She was quiet for l while, probably just letting things sink in. Then, she spoke.
"So, if I am a demigod, then who's my parent?" I shook my head.
"Well, as of now, we don't know," I said. "One of the goddesses, I'd be willing to bet." Chiron nodded, agreeing.
"We will only know when you are claimed," he said.
If you're ever claimed, I thought to myself. Brianna nodded, acknowledging Chiron.
"For now," the old centaur continued, "you will be staying in Cabin Eleven, with Luke, his siblings, and the other unclaimeds." She nodded again.
"Luke, will you please show Brianna around? Get her acquainted with the layout of the camp?" Chiron said to me.
"Sure," I replied. "Brianna, follow me." She nodded, said good bye to Chiron, and we both headed out.