Chapter XVIII

Luke's POV

As I led Brianna upstairs, I tried to figure out a good way to explain the gods to her. I couldn't say that I understood her confusion, as I had grown up knowing that there were gods, and, well, that they didn't necessarily mean good news. Of course, what was I supposed to think, considering that my dad had abandoned me with my mother when I was young, ran away (because of him) when I was nine, and generally had an awful childhood. Sorry, did that sound bitter? Anyhow, I was shaken out of my thoughts when we reached the entrance level. Unfortunately, Mr. D was back. I didn't know if I could deal with him right now. When I paused, though, Brianna said, "Are we going in?" I sighed.
"Yeah," I responded.

"Well, well," Mr. D drawled as we walked in. "Is this the new terror that I have to pay attention to now?" I grit my teeth, trying to restrain my temper.

"Mr. D, this is Brianna Grace," I said. "Don't you have strawberries to go make grow?" He glowered at me.

"Why, you little-" Mr. D was abruptly cut off by Chiron.

"Mr. D, why don't you go supervise training somewhere? You can meet this new demigod later," Chiron suggested with a warning look at me.

"I suppose I must," Mr. D said, sounding annoyed. He heaved himself up from the table and walked out the door. When he was well out of earshot, Chiron looked at me. "Luke, you know better than to provoke a god."

"Yeah, but were you really going to let him get away with insulting Brianna?" I replied. Chiron sighed. Brianna was looking at us, following the conversation with a confused look.

"Wait," she said. "You're saying that this person that just walked out is a god? 'Cause that's not possible. The Greek gods don't exist."

"Brianna," I said. "This is Chiron. The person that just walked out is Mr. D, the camp director."

"Yes," Chiron said. "And I am afraid that you are greatly mistaken in saying that the Greek gods don't exist.
A/N: I didn't want this note in the middle of my writing (like it was before...), but did anyone notice the one line that I stuck in the writing from The Demigod Diaries??? First person to find and comment it will get a dedication to this chappie.
PS: I don't give dedications that often, so...