Ch.08 Shift

Emerald eyes stared at the ceiling hazily. His red, plump lips let out a hard panting which shortly turned into screaming, and next, it became a shattering wail. Eren almost gave up from the pain that crushing his body.

As he struggled to keep his consciousness, he heard a loud gasp, followed by a loud shriek, "Eren!"

'Mikasa, help. It hurts so much,' Eren thought once he knew the owner of the voice.

"Somebody call Petra!"

'Who? Farlan?'

"Call the Alpha too! He needs his mate, hurry!"

'Yes, Armin. Please call him,' Eren didn't know why, call it instinct, but true to Armin's words; all he needed was Levi. He craved Levi's presence. He longed for Levi's calming scent. He yearned for Levi's soothing touch.

Eren called out Levi's name in a weak whimper. He kept doing it for a few times before another bones cracked, making Eren yelped in pain.

Everyone was panicking. There were rustling noises here and there, everywhere.

Mikasa and Armin were approaching Eren and sat on each of his side. They plead for Eren to stay awake and tried not to move his body too much. They didn't try to hold the brunette, though. Not when his bones were still cracking all over.

Eren tried.

Just when his scream turned into a low growl, he felt somebody whispered next to him, "Eren, can you hear me? It's Isabel. I already call Levi, he'll be here soon, okay?"

"Please. It hurts, I want Levi, please!" Eren snarled with ragging breath.

"Levi will be here anytime soon. Really, really soon, I promise! Eren, please—," Isabel whipped her hair toward the door and barked loudly, "FOR THE MOON'S SAKE WHERE IS PETRA?!"

"I'm here, I'm here!" As if on cue, Petra showed up and rushed onto Eren in no time.

Isabel made a room for the doctor pack to check up on Eren.

"How is he?" Armin asked.

"What happen to my baby brother?" This time, it was Mikasa.

The rest of the people in the room; Isabel, Farlan, and Jean, who was off of night duty, silently looking at Petra, also waiting for an answer.

"He's... He's having his first shift," Petra answered, yet she looked unsure at her own words.

"Bullshit!" Jean scoffed.

Farlan interfere with disbelief look plastered on his face, "Impossible. We've all had been through our first shift and we are all aware that the pain from our first shift is bearable. Not like— Not like this, not like what Eren been through..."

"He's a late shifter. Do you think that's the cause of Eren's pain?" Armin asked.

"Most likely, yes. I've learnt about it, about the late shifter," Petra looked down.

"What do you know about it? Tell me! How to help Eren? Please!" Mikasa walked toward Petra and grabbed both of her tiny shoulder, shaking them harshly, demanding.

Petra winced at the strong grip. She then shook her head, still looking down, "There's nothing we could do."

"No..." Mikasa staggered. Her hands slump down as she was staring at Petra in horror.

"That's what happened to the late shifter. The later you have your first shift, the more pain will come to you. It's... It's up to Eren's body, whether he's strong enough or not. If he can't handle the pain, he will die in a matter of time."