Chapter 5

ALICE'S P.O.V

I walked down the block to grab some caffeine. Mom and Dad were fighting again so I'd rather save my own self. To Starbucks it is.

"A hot chocolate please. Gonna sit right there. Just let me know when you're done with my order." I talked to the cashier.

"No problem Alice. I'll give it to you. Just sit back and relax." She smiled nicely.

I took the most hidden seat at the corner of the shop. The most convenient place to spend time thinking of life. Jeez. I almost had no home. I couldn't figure out how to wake up tomorrow morning and prepare myself for school if I didn't even have a room to shower and change. Life's cruel.

"This is your hot chocolate." A guy brought me my order, when it's supposed to be Nadia, then cashier I was talking to.

"Whoa. Thought you're one of them." I looked up and turned out it's Connor.

"What are you doing here?"

"No. Wrong question. What are you doing here? You supposed to be somewhere having dinner with Pam."

"I did. But I drove her earlier than expected."

There was hint of disappointment in his face. I wasn't sure how enjoyable it was. Something's not right. And as a friend of both sides, I got to ask.

"May I know what's so not cool about tonight?"

"Hmm?" He sipped his iced-coffee. "How can you tell so?"

"I read people." I rolled my eyes. "Just answer the question."

"Gah...that's hard. You're her friend. I can't tell that."

"And that makes me your what? Remember whose side I've been so helpful on?"

"Alright." Connor sighed. "She's like...nothing's wrong about her. Maybe I'm not into her anymore. Gosh, doesn't that sound rude? Our conversation isn't good. A lot of awkward moments. It's much easier to start a long conversation with you though."

"That's Pamela." I nodded. "Totally understood. She told you about last ex?"

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry. But hey, she's a great companion, Con."

"I know. She is. But I don't see how we'll get there. Even if we did, there would be a lot to work on." Connor held my hand. "You know Alice, there is no better or worse way to say this, but I can't see that happen-"

"I understand." I rubbed his back. "And I know how bad you must be feeling right now."

"Especially to you."

"Because I'm her friend? Oh c'mon. Not that I'm gonna hate you for feeling not okay after trying."

"Thank you. Oh I'm relieved." He laid back on his chair and sipped again. "But same question, what are you doing here?"

"Escaping life?" I chuckled.

"Or just too in love with coffee." Connor added.

"That's also true. Haha. Shouldn't you go home? This is kinda late."

"Well..."

Connor stared at me. That 'I'm-sorry-but-I-should-leave-you-alone' kind of stare. But that's okay. I threw a smile. It's totally normal that people leave me and I end up dealing with my own sadness even though my mind has spoken to myself countless times to ask them to stay.

"It's okay. Don't you have to write again tomorrow?"

"Yeah. Riley and Toby must have been ringing my phone for hours now since I set it silent."

"Ouch." I fistbumped him. "See you around."

"Wait what? You don't come with me? I can drive you."

"I feel like staying."

"School tomorrow, girl. Don't make me look like a bad brother."

Brother? Huh, what a nice way to say that. I could really use one. With that I wouldn't be so lonely.

"Hahaha. You won't look like one. Just go, I want to stay for couple more minutes."

I lied. With no place to come home, I think I could end up sleeping on this Starbucks couch.

"Alright then." Connor walked up and kissed my forehead. "You're lucky this one is pretty near from your house. Don't take too long."

"Bye bye!" I waved lazily like a little girl.

He waved too, half-running straight to his car. I sighed. The kiss on my forehead. It was too deary that I almost scared to think about it. The way he worried about me taking too long time staying outside when it's a school day tomorrow. Where's the rewind button please? I'd like to fix my life and be his little girl instead.

"Alice? Hi." Nadia tapped my shoulder. "Shouldn't you go home?"

"I... Uh, are you guys wrapping up?"

"Kind of." She grinned apologizing. "I'm sorry. I wish we were open 24 hours for you."

"That's okay!" I laughed. "Thanks for tonight Nad. Of course you have to close. It's almost 12:30."

"Yeah... Hey you need a ride?"

"No, my house is only two blocks away."

"See you soon then." She hugged me.

"See you! Bye all!" I waved to the all people who were busy cleaning up their stations.

Deep sigh again. You have no idea how tired I was. The only thing I needed was something cozy and comfortable to sleep in. Tomorrow's an English test that I had no idea what I would do about it. Funny how I lost my home now, let alone thinking about test.

I nonchalantly walked through this small path, somewhere, five or six blocks away from my house. If you wanted to count, I probably have been walking for thirty minutes non-stop, nowhere to go. This small path led me to pretty cool city lights below. It's me discovering a cool spot in Orlando at 2 AM.