Chapter 1

ALICE'S P.O.V

"Alice!"

I scanned the hallway. "Who's there?"

Silence. No answer. But I could hear the footsteps.

"Hello?"

"Boo!"

"Jesus! Dang it Pam, do not do that to me!" I jumped back and tried to breathe. "Oh shit."

"Haha... Good morning." She tossed her shoulder to mine. "How's your sleep?"

"Pretty tired. Parents were fighting so no new thing. Yourself?"

"Pretty cool."

I nodded slowly to her. We both walked to the room as this morning class was about to start. Funny how we both arrived too early today that we almost got nothing to do.

This is Pamela. My best friend since the day we were born. We even likely shared house because we were literally lived next door. But now I have moved into a not too far new neighborhood, like couple blocks away from hers. So what could I describe about her? She's tall, pretty, perfect dirty blonde hair, very green eyes (which I'm very envy of), and smart too. She was our top 10 in class, like always. Oh, her family was perfect too. And compared to me? Hi I'm Alice, one too tiny and too short plain half-Asian girl, brown eyes, brown hair, and blurred life. The reason my family took me from that cool house was their endless and too loud fights. My parents were literally the opposite of Pamela's. They didn't do things quite well though. Every simple question always led to big cat fight, I swear.  My last ex broke up with me because he couldn't stand my family condition. Pretty sad. So nothing to be proud of.

"So I heard the fest will be held couple weeks early this year." Pamela started a conversation as we took our seats.

"Yeah? Didn't hear such thing."

"Oh because you don't care of such things."

"Exactly." I chuckled. "What's the point of attending a fest anyway, it's always the same every year. Bands over bands playing music and lead you to the dance floor dancing with-"

"Okay." She stopped me. "Alice, just because you and Justin couldn't work that thing out..."

"I know. I just don't like being there. Always leads to disappointment instead."

Pamela rubbed my back. She knew. She knew my every pathetic life chapters. The same fest last year, my ex Justin dumped me when we were 'trying' - note that quote mark - to be romantic. He whispered to me some sweet stuff to broke me up in a way he thought was sweet enough. So you know, I dislike fests.

"Let fest be fest..." Pamela sighed. "Alright! So you want go to the mall after the class?"

"You go shopping again?"

"Fall shopping. Or early Christmas shopping."

"Hahaha." I laughed sarcastically. "Four weathers in life equals four shopping excuses. And is there even such significant thing as Fall or Christmas in Florida?"

"Please..." She begged me with that very beautiful green eyes.

"Done." I gave in. "But please, frozen yoghurt."

"Damn well for sure." She fistbumped me.

Class was immediately started. This huge room was packed with almost twenty five students and a lecturer. It wasn't too lame. I enjoyed today's cool breeze so it was a pretty happy day.

Soon after it's ended, I walked with Pamela to her car. I used to drive my own car but since parents weren't doing any better, they like to steal my car whenever one of them feel like running away for a day or two. Mine's now currently with Mom. So I've been taking the bus.

"To the mall we are!" Pamela danced happily.

"Okay now girl, drive safely. I'm not gonna die today."

"Haha. No you won't."

She parked the car perfectly at the parking lot. As we approached the very packed mall, I ran to the frozen yoghurt stall to grab usual treat. Then I quickly found Pamela inside the store next to where I was. She was looking for some up-to-date cool outfits. Of course they fit her in anyways possible because she's a model material. Me? I was already happy with a frozen yoghurt in my hands.

"Eh wait." Pamela suddenly froze. "Is that Before You Exit?"

"Hmm? Before You Exit as the band, Before You Exit?"

"Yes!" The store stuff yelled excitedly from behind me that I was jumped a bit. "They have a show to open that brand new mark over there."

"Oh! I want to see them!"

Then it was not Pamela if she didn't run so fast whenever it's her favorite bands or singers playing a show. I followed her steps and ended up standing behind her, by the left wing of the stage. There were these three guys, as I recognized as Connor, Riley, and Toby, singing Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran. The crowd was going insane. All posters were held up. I heard Pamela's voice slowly singing along. Smile. It was a cool moment to accidentally see these guys, the pride of Orlando, playing music live. As a local Florida, you couldn't hide a big name. There were always pride to the state. And one of those on the top list was BYE.

"My gosh." Pamela gasped. She was in love.

Suddenly, Connor, who's the nearest to the left wing where we were standing, glanced at us and locked his eyes like we were some weird people. It was awkward. I hid behind Pamela's hair. Felt insecure. Because he literally was staring at us.

"Hi there."

Connor used his microphone to say hi to us, or specifically to Pamela. Now I was the one who gasped back. Pamela was trying to look contented. The stare battle was happening til the end of their time. As they said goodbye, we walked back to the store.

"Oh dang. He said hi." Pamela whispered.

"You're in robotic mode." I chuckled. "Congrats girl, he noticed you."

"Yeah." She started to blush. "Damn yeah."