{3} How Long?

When I got inside, I saw my dad cleaning his knife. My dad didn't give a damn if anyone saw him with a knife. He could show it to the cops and wouldn't give a damn. I wanted to be just like my dad. He wanted me to become like him, to show that I'm worthy of being the next Slayer to slay any wolf that comes on our way. My dad looked up and his eyes softened.

"Hey boy," he said and continued cleaning his knife. I sat down next to him, biting my lip. I have to tell him. He would get suspicious that I'm gone.

I sighed. "Dad...I have to tell you something." He made a sound which means that he's listening. "I went to the woods today and-"

"You went into the woods? How many times do I have to tell you not to go there? Do you know how many fleabags in there?" He said, his voice rising. He saw the sadness in my eyes and he sighed.

"Keep going."

"And I met a pack." I waited to watch my dad's reaction. It turned into anger, sadness, and anger again. "The leader said that I have to stay with him because Chase and I know their secret."

My dad sighed and looked at me in the eyes. Something was odd when he looked at me. Usually, he would be in pain when something bad happened to me. When I got a broken bone from a wolf, he stayed in the hospital for a week. He didn't let a nurse touch me until I let them. He was supported for me and my mom. But this time, it was emotionless. He nodded slowly and his flickered to his knife.

He picked up and handed it to me. "Use this when it comes in handy. I'll talk to this dirtbag tomorrow. But, for now, pack your things."

My eyes widen and I shot up from the couch. "You're not making me do this, right? I don't want to go. I want to stay here with you and mom."

He sighed. "I know you do but I want you and Chase to go. I want you find something useless so I can get you and Chase back. Do you understand?"

I blinked back tears and nodded, making my way upstairs to my room. I closed the door slowly and sat at the edge of my bed. I put my face in my hands and screamed. There was a knock on my door. "Come in," I said. I heard the door open and I peeked through my hands to see my mom standing.

"Are you okay, Ed?" She said softly, closing the door behind her.

I shook my head and got up, moving my hands from my face. I turned around and started packing my things. I didn't fold them or make them neat. I grabbed a large bag from my closet and started shoving clothes in my bag.

"Are you going to sleep over at Chase's house?" I heard my mom asked. I slowed myself and thought about my mom. Should I tell my mom the truth? Should I tell her everything? I opened to spill out everything but I closed my mouth. I couldn't do that to my mom. She didn't have to suffer like how I suffer because of wolves running around here. She didn't have to know that my dad and I are in a cult where we kill creatures. I grabbed my pack of cigarettes and put them in my pocket.

"Yeah, but I might stay long," I said and swallowed a lump in my throat. I really need to smoke.

"How long with you stay at Chase’s house?"

I blinked back the tears. I didn't know it would be this emotional leaving my family. I thought someday I'll die and my mom would be happy. She could have another baby boy and he'll be normal unlike me.

"I don't know...but I'll be back soon," I whispered and turned around, pushing past her. I ran downstairs and opened the front door, running towards Chase's house. I knocked on the door and Chase opened the door. His hair was messy and his eyes were red, his lip quivering a little. He closed the door behind him and we started walking with our things in our hands and backs.