"It's fine mum,"I sighed, "Just tell me." Mum shifted nervously, so Adeline tookover.

"Zach, it's along list," she began. I just stared, waiting for her to continue.Leon looked away from me. "Well, your left shoulder was dislocated,and your left lung collapsed. The back of your skull was fractured,and you've got a couple of stiches across your brow. Your rightkidney was ruptured, and you've got a lot of bruising and muscledamage..."

I breathed slowly,taking it all in. That wasn't all though. They were still keepingsomething from me. I looked Adeline right in the eyes.

"What aren't youtelling me?" I asked her. She fidgeted, buying her time, so Lukatook over, stepping forward.

"Your leftleg... the guy who hurt you, he did a lot of damage. Zach, they hadto amputate it from the knee down," my brother explained. Adeline'seyes filled with tears. I reached out with my left hand slowly andrubbed her shoulder. She burst into tears too and leant in against mychest. I wrapped my arm around her, despite the pain, and hugged her.

Missing half aleg... that was going to take some getting used to. I was trying tohandle it well and be strong for everyone watching me, but I was alittle scared. Life was going to be different now. I'd have to learnhow to walk all over again, how to run, everything.

Leon pushed offfrom the wall and opened the door, walking out. Dad and a nurse camein behind him. The nurse smiled.

"We can give youmore pain-killers in a minute, I want to do a quick check over first,okay?" she told me sweetly, I nodded. Adeline got up and moved outthe way as the nurse reached me.

"Ad, can you getLeon?" I asked her. She nodded and ran out after him.

Leon's P.O.V

I couldn't barelooking at him like that, especially knowing it was my fault. Itbroke my heart. When I'd stormed in there with Dylan and Mike, thetwo guys who'd Chloe had targeted like me, I was hellbent and filledwith rage. I hadn't had a chance to let in really sink in. But theway I found Zach there in the basement, crumpled on the ground...

I turned andpunched the wall, pain shot through my fist but I didn't care. Ithrew myself against the wall, erupting into tears finally as I sliddown the wall. I buried my face in my knees. My head was reeling, mychest ached. It was all my fault.

"Oh Leon," Iheard Adeline say as she rubbed my back. The police would be heresoon, I'd have to turn myself in then. They'd find out what I'd doneanyway. But I just couldn't stop. After seeing Zach like that, I lostit. I blacked out, and the next thing I know I was standing overtheir bodies. I think the nurses had put them in rooms on the nextfloor of the Hospital.

"Zach wants tosee you," she whispered. I shook my head.

"I can't," Ichoked. Adeline dropped her hand.

"Leon, listenhere. No matter what you think, you saved him. It's not your faultthat b*tch is a psycho. It could have been one of those other guys'girlfriend or something if it hadn't been Zach. And as for beatingthe crap out of her and her brother, they deserved it. I would havedone the same thing if I was there, or worse. Luka and his parentsprobably would have too. Zach would have done it for you. So stopbeating yourself about it and get in there and see him!" shebarked. I swallowed and looked up, meeting her gaze. She was stern,her face set and determined. I snorted.

"Yeah, I canpicture you doing that," I chuckled darkly. Adeline nodded andstood, holding out her hand. I took it and rose, letting her lead meback to Zach's room.

The nurse steppedout as we reached the door and nodded to us as she went past. Iwalked in, but Adeline stayed outside the room. Her parents looked tome and smiled, standing and leaving the room. Luka followed them,stopping at the door to pat my shoulder before closing the doorbehind him. I stared at the door for a moment before turning to Zach.

My chest clinchedas I looked at him. He was so beat up he was hardly recognisable;except for his eyes. His eyes were the same as they stared back atme. I took a deep breath and walked around the bed to sit in thechair his mother had been in. I leant forward to rest my elbows on myknees and bit my lip.

"Thanks," Zachsaid. I looked up at him.

"Why?" Iasked. He smiled.

"For saving me,dummy," he said. I looked away, giving him a once over. If youlooked hard enough you could see the drop off in the blanket wherethe rest of his left leg should have been. I sucked it up and facedhim.

"I will dowhatever it takes to make this up to you. Whatever it takes to helpyou get through this. I'll be there for every therapy session andrehabilitation. For as long as it takes, I wont ever give up on you.I'll be here for as long as you want me," I promised. Zach tried tomove, but winced, and instinctively I reached out to hold him back.He grinned.

"Will you hurryup and kiss me so I don't have to move," he demanded. I laughed, aweight leaving my chest, and stood. Leaning down, I pressed my lipsto his softly. Zach reached up with his good arm and wrapped his handaround my neck, pulling me firmer against him.

"You still loveme with only 1 and a half legs right?" he asked. I burst outlaughing.

"Of course Ilove you," I told him.

"So you do loveme then?"

"More than youknow," I breathed and kissed his forehead.

"Good," hewhispered. "Same."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To Anyone with a disability out there, no matter big or small, remember that you are not alone. You are loved by this crazy writer, and feel free to message me anytime for a confidence boost or a chat or whatever. My facebook page is also linked on my profile page. 

Having a disability doesn't have to be the end of a full life, you can still make the most of what you've got. And don't forget that there are hidden disabilities as well. So if you see someone using the Disabled parking who isn't missing a limb, think before you judge. 

A few months ago now I was diagnosed with Firbromyalgia, which is an invisible autoimmune disease. And because of that I'm in a lot of pain on and off in my joints, especially my knuckles. But I'll never give up writing no matter how much it hurts. And no one else should give up what they love just because it's hard or it hurts either.

Peace!

Mouki out~