Chapter 14

Calum pulls me up carefully and I hide behind him. I can feel my face heating up by the second and I walk behind him as the teacher says that it's time to get back.

I smiled thinking to myself that Calum had cared enough about me to go after me and beg me for forgiveness. I glanced up at him and felt his thumb brush over my knuckles. He looked like he was in deep thought.

I was glad that he had wanted to stay with me but I was afraid. He had hit me. I couldn't say he was abusive because it was only once but what if it happened again? What if he...

No.

I trust him. I know he didn't mean it. He wouldn't do it again. He wouldn't.

We headed inside just as the bell rang and we all grabbed our stuff. Calum grabbed my hand and pulled me to his car.

"I want to take you out is that okay?" He asks and sets his stuff down in the car. I hesitate before setting my stuff in the back and then opening the passenger seat and sat down.

He started the car and pulled out of the school driveway. My heart started to flutter in panic but I told myself that I was fine. It was Calum.

But he had also hit me.

Stop thinking that! I scolded myself. I rolled down the window and let the wind go through my hair. I closed my eyes and let the wind kill every other sound and drown out my worries. I would enjoy my time with Calum.

He slowed down suddenly and I saw that we had arrived at port of sub. I unbuckled my seat belt and Calum offered his elbow.

I smiled up at him-a genuine smile- and looped mine through his. I pressed against his side as we walked up. He preferred for me and him as I hummed.

After he ordered he listened to me absentmindedly hum.

"I love that song." He said after I finished. I quickly turned away as my face heated up. I hadn't realized he was listening. He reached over and turned my head to face him.

"You shouldn't be embarrassed you have a good voice." He says and my face heats up more.

He leans in and give me a peck on the lips.

"Your order is ready. Is it for here or to go?" The lady said and winked at Calum. I felt a spark of jealousy.

"To go. And I have a girlfriend." He said while paying.

The lady looked stunned and she stood frozen even after we had left. I had burst out laughing after we walked out. Calum chuckled.

We got in the car again and he drove us to the park. All of our memories seem to be around here. He pulls me over to the lake and we sit down. He hands me my sandwich and starts to unwrap his. I do the same and take a bite. I'm halfway done before he says something.

"I'm really glad that you decided to give me another chance. I couldn't imagine a life without you. It was hard enough when we didn't talk at all last week." He says while looking out at the calming waters.

"Yeah. It was hard for me too. I really missed you." I say and sigh. I did miss him but I couldn't bring myself to say I love you.

He looks over at me and he sets down his sandwich. I do the same and he pulls me in for a hug. I scoot closer to him and he sets me in his lap.

"I'm really sorry about hitting you. I didn't mean to. It's just Mali-" he says and his voice cracks. I felt a jolt in my
heart. "What happened to her is something I don't like talking about." He says and wraps hIs arms around me tighter.

"I shouldn't have brought it up. I'm sorry too Calum." Please don't bring it up again, I think to myself. His face flashes in my memory. His eyes looked so broken. So alone. And the murder he had in them when he slapped me. I shiver.

"Are you cold?" He asks and starts to take off his jacket. I nod lying to him. And he puts it around my shoulders. He wraps his arms around me again. I put my head on his shoulder and he kisses my forehead.

I felt safe with him but I knew it wouldn't last.