Chapter 12

It's been a week. An entire week and Calum and I have been avoiding each other. Every time I saw him I would remember how he had hit me. How he pushed me away without another thought.

Aly and Terra had noticed my change in behavior and asked about it a couple of time but u just brushed it off. I didn't want to talk to anybody. I just wanted to be home but I couldn't afford to skip school anymore.

I was sitting in my photography class alone waiting for the other people to arrive. I sat all the way to the left near the only window. I stared out of it wishing that I hadn't gone to see Calum that day. I should've just let it go.

The door clicked open and what do you know, Calum walked in. We looked at each other but I was the first to look away as the memory smacked me in the face. I crossed my arms over my chest and let the hair fall in front of my face.

I heard him walk away after a few seconds to his seat. The chair legs scrapped against the floor but I barely noticed. My cheek throbbed as I closed my eyes. The memory was playing over and over again. Tears sprung to my eyes and I quickly wiped them away.

Not being able to talk to Calum really hurt me. I really did love him and being away from him for so long proved it. He probably hates me. That's what it sounded like when he kicked me out.

I lay my head in my arms and sigh. This love would haunt me for a while.

Calum's POV
I. Hate. My. Self. I had shut her out when she had wanted to help. To top it off I slapped her so hard she started to cry. What was wrong with me?

I dragged a hand through my hair sighing. I pushed the door open and saw Dalila. Our eyes locked but she looked away from me. I saw her cross her arms and let her hair fall in front of her face.

After I waited a few seconds hoping she would look at me again I walked back over to my seat. The chair legs scraped against the floor and I cringed. I looked over at Dalila and she was swiping at her face.

God, I must have hurt her so much for her to be crying a week later.

I couldn't stand not talking to her. My eyes trailed over to her again. Why had I let myself get close to her? I knew this was going to happen. I knew I would hurt her. But part of me still wanted to hold her in my arms and run my fingers through her silky hair.

However, the other part of me wanted her to run away. To stay away from me so I wouldn't hurt her again. I remembered the hurt in her eyes when I slapped her. I clenched my hands and ground my teeth. Why had I hit her?

I get it, I was mad but that didn't explain why I lashed out. She only wanted to help me. God, I'm such an idiot!

I looked over at her again and see that she had lain her head in her arms. I felt a knife go through my heart as I remembered her saying to never talk to her again. I wanted to talk to her so badly it hurt. I didn't want to make the same mistake I did with Mali.

As soon as I made my decision to go talk to her, the door flung open and the teacher walked in followed by the rest of the class. I sighed and decided that it would have to wait till later. Preferably before the day ends.

Dalila's POV
I lifted my head up when I heard the door click open again. The teacher was carrying a box while some of the other students carried in a board. The rest of the class took their seats.

"Class I have a surprise for you that I think you'll like!" the teacher said and smiled. "From the survey you took last week on which type of camera you think is best, I found a good deal and decided to get the entire class a Polaroid camera!"

Everybody cheered and clapped. He took a bow and started opening the box he had carried and and handed each of us one.

"However we will not be using them today as we are presenting the project I assigned on the first week of school." He called out a name but I wasn't paying attention. Someone stood up and walked up to the front.

Would I make it through my presentation without breaking down every time I saw Calum's face? It was too late to change anything as I had finished it long ago and didn't think I would need to change it.

The class clapped and so did I signaling that the person was done. I knew I would be up soon as my last name started with an A and he was going by alphabetical order.

"Dalila Aguilar." He said and I slowly got out of my seat. I loaded my presentation and waited as it showed up on the board.

"We had visited the lake the day I took this picture. It had reminded me of the one that was by my house back in America. I felt calm looking at it as the sun reflected it and diamonds appeared to be glistening in the surface." I said reading from what I had written down.

I made it through the next two slides before choking up. Calum was in the fourth one and his smiling face caught me off guard.

I cleared my throat and continued.

"Beauty is all around us and I realized it exists in everyone and everything after watching my friends. They were always happy it seemed. Always having a good time. Beauty surrounds everybody even if they went through a bad time." I say mostly talking to Calum. I could feel his eyes on me but I didn't dare look over as I knew I would break down in tears.

The final picture showed up and I silently gasped. Calum had took a picture on my camera with me. His arm was around my shoulder and we were both smiling.

Before I could stop myself I turned and fled the classroom in tears. I heard someone shout but I didn't care. I kept running, and running. I found myself in the park near the rock where we had first kissed. I wiped my eyes and sat on it.

I hugged my knees to my chest as more tears ran down my face. I couldn't take it anymore. He meant to much to me obviously didn't mean anything to him.

A shadow cut across the sun causing me to look up and who do I see?

You guessed it.

Calum.