chapter two

When I got to the bottom of the stairs I looked around to see almost the entire pack was here. This should be fun. I put on my best smile and went around greeting people. About an hour later I finally finished talking to everyone and it was finally time to eat.

I sat at the end of the table. Thayer at the head, being the new alpha of our pack, and my brother to the right of him being our beta. After a long drawn out dinner full of obnoxious small talk it was finally time to start dancing.

The dj started playing and we all hit the dance floor. After a while I began getting tired of dancing and went to get a drink. My parents were letting me drink tonight, as long as I kept it under control. It was my eighteenth birthday after all. We kept dancing until about 11:45 when everyone started to gather around the stage. This is where people would give small speeches about me, almost like a human wedding ceremony. My parents took the stage and my daddy began talking. "Thank you all for coming out tonight. Today is one of the happiest yet then again saddest days of my life. Tonight my baby girl will start her search for her mate. Haley, I love you so much. You will always be my baby girl, no matter how old you get, even when you have kids of your own. I know your soulmate is going to fall for you the minute he sees you, just like all of us did. He couldn't help but. So I'd like to raise a toast to the birthday girl. May the rest of your life be filled with love." We all clinked our glasses and I gave my mama and daddy a hug when they came off of the stage. Next Clay and Thayer went up and Thayer began," As alpha and beta we are required to give a speech at these things. But tonight I don't want to give this speech as an alpha. Haley you are like my little sister and you probably get sick and tired of me and Clay always following you around trying to protect you but you should know that we just do it because we love you. So I hope whoever your mate may be will love and protect you as much as me and Clay do, and always will." Next was Clay, "Basically my speech is the same as Thayers, so I will try and keep this short. But you are my little sister and I wish you luck. I love you, and I hope your mate will love you as much as we all do. I know we fight sometimes but at the end of the day you are my little sister and its my job to stick up for you, no matter what."

After a few more people gave their speeches it was almost twelve and people started to leave. Personally I was freaking out. In a couple of minutes I was supposed to turn into a huge wolf. I hugged everyone goodbye and went up to my room where my mother had laid out some clothes for me to change into, before I shift for my first time.

I changed then tied some spare clothes around my ankle tightly like my brother and Thayer had shown me to do over and over again and sat down on my bed. The next thing I know my nails got really long and I hit the floor. I walked over to my mirror and saw a small white wolf. I started running as my wolf took over and I ended up in the woods. It was like everything was enhanced. I could smell, see, and hear everything. I started running again and suddenly I smelt this intoxicating smell.

It was like chocolate and nature and it was completely wonderful. I ran and ran in search of the scent until I got to a river in the woods. I shifted back to human form and changed into my clothes, still following the scent. I saw a figure standing by the river and walked towards it slowly. The figure turned around and we both whispered in sync, "Mate."

-A/N) So.. who is her mate? Hope you liked it. Sorry it is short still. It will get better as I get more into the story. Please let me know what you think!!!