Chapter Fourteen - The Magic Of Christmas Day

Christmas
All rights reserved.
© Copyright: ChristmasKissez 2015

The house smelt like my mum's famous honey ham, the Christmas wrapping paper was still on the floor from this morning. My house had never seemed so noisy and full of life but I loved it.

I sat in the lounge room, staring at my engagement ring. Will and I had decided to tell everyone today, since today is always filled with joy and happiness. "Lou are you okay?" My mum questions, poking her head around the corner of the kit hen doorway. I quickly hide my engagement ring from mum. "Yeah I'm fine." I say, resting my head against the back of the armchair.

"Okay. Its just that you've been really quiet today." Mum says, wiping her hands on the Christmas apron that was tied around her waist. "I'm just tired, the last couple of weeks at the book shop have been hectic." I tell her, just as the doorbell went off. "I'll get it." Mum says, making her to the front door.

I put my feet up on the footrest, covered myself up with a blanket and closed my eyes. I could hear voices at the front door, one of them I would recognize anywhere.

Snuggling in closer to the blanket, I enjoyed the warm that it gave me. The soft crackling of the fire sent me into a peaceful sleep.

I woke up to someone gently shaking me. "What?" I question, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. "Mum says that lunch is ready and that you have to come to the table. She says that there will be a cup of coffee waiting Dir you." George says, helping me up from the armchair.

"Okay. How long was I out?" I question, following George into the kitchen where my family and guests were waiting for me. "About five hours." Mum says, cutting the ham. Five hours, wow. I probably looked like a mess.

I took a seat next to Will at the table. He brought his brothers and sister. I took a sip of coffee and almost jumped ten feet out of my skin when I felt a hand on my leg. I look up at Will, who was smiling at me. He mouthed 'shall we share our news." I nodded at him and he turned to face the others.

"We have something to tell you." I say, looking at my mum, who was eating a slice of ham. "Go on." She says, motioning with her honey cover finger. I smile at her and look at Will.

"For the last couple of months Will and I have been dating and last night Will asked me to marry him." I say resting my head in my hand. My mum looked at me, a big smile gracing her face.

"Dude, seriously." George says, raising an eyebrow at Will. Turning my attention to George, I smile at him. "I'm serious." I tell him, picking up my fork and knife.

"Your father would be proud." Mum says, putting down the big knife and fork she was using to cut the ham with. "Yeah, he would." George agrees, I smile at him. Mum comes over to me and wraps me in a big hug. "My eldest is finally getting married!" Mum exclaims, jumping in joy.

"Welcome to the family Will." George says, reaching across the table to shake Will's hand. I smiled at George, the eldest boy in my family, it meant a lot to me that liked Will.

"Thank you George." Will says, sitting back in his chair. He places his hand on my leg and we begin to eat the delicious honey ham my mum made.