Chapter Ten - The Invitation

Christmas Love
All rights reserved.
© Copyright: ChristmasKissez 2015

Christmas was literally three weeks way, and with my family already here, my house couldn't have been more lively. My mum, Isadora, had taken over the duty of cooking, leaving me free to work late.

The last couple of weeks have been great, Will and I have made time to hang out. We've gone on a few dates, but not many because we both work long hours. A couple of times we got take out and went to the park because we couldn't be bothered getting all dressed up.

A knock at the door brought me out of my thoughts. Getting up from the couch, I make my way to the door to see who it is. As soon as I opened the door, I saw that it was the guy with the heavy English accent, I think Will said his name was Julian.

"Mr Snowgrave has asked me to personally deliver this to you." He says, holding out a crisp, white rectangular envelope. Taking it my hand, I look at it for a few minutes before looking up at him. "Thank you." I say, as he begins to make his way back to the shiny black car on the curb.

Closing the front door, I make my way back to the warmth if the living room. Sitting back down in the old armchair in front of the fire, I pull out the crisp white card from the envelope.

Louise O'Dowd, you have been invited to Will's Christmas Eve Party. Please arrive before 6:30pm. A car will pick you up at 6:35pm.

I read the invitation five times just to make sure I remembered the time. I putting the invitation on the coffee table, I slide deeper into the armchair. I could feel the warmth of the fire through my fluffy socks.

"Who was at the door?" George questions, eyeing the invitation on the coffee table. "Just an invitation to a Christmas party." I say, sipping on the hot drink in my hand. "Oh okay," George says, pulling on his snow shoes. "Mum asked me to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things, do you need anything?" George questions, I shake my head. George pulls on his coat and leaves the house.

Getting up from the armchair, I make my way to the kitchen, where my mum was making her famous Creamy Broccoli with Chicken and Bacon Pasta dish.

"Smells good mum." I say, putting the invitation on the fridge. "What's that?" Mum questions, looking up from the boiling pot of pasta. "An invitation to a Christmas party." I tell her, putting my cup in the sink. "Are you going?" Mum questions, using the knife in her hand as a pointer. "Yep, I have too, I can't just let a good invitation go to waste." I tell her, taking a seat at the kitchen table that had to be extended because of all my family members.

"True. Can you set the table please." Mum says, pointing to a big stack of plates on the bench. "Sure." I say, picking up some of the plates. Mum has it so the kids eat first and the adults eat last.

"Don't forget glasses, forks and knives." Mum says stirring the cheesy broccoli sauce. "I won't mum." I tell her, neatly placing plates on the table. "Someday, I'll give you all my pasta recipes." Mum says, adding the pasta to the cheesy broccoli sauce.

"Okay." I say, placing forks, knives and glasses on the table. "Do you have any idea what your going to wear to this party?" Mum questions looking up from the pan in front of her. "Nope, but I'm sure I can find something to wear. I do have almost three weeks to think about." I tell my mum, I place a jug of water in the center of the table along with salt and pepper.

"Alright, so long as you don't do it at the last minute." Mum says, looking back down at the pan. " I won't, I plan ahead remember. " I say, wiping my sweaty hands on my jeans.