electricity

Mischief night. A night that kids participated in every year, the night before Halloween. Most kids, however, wait until the day of. Stiles instead, insisted on sneaking into the school at midnight to play a prank on Coach. "Stiles. Did you have to wake me up just so we could sneak into the school for this?" Stiles turned to me, nodding quickly. "Jayla, we've done this for the past two years. There's no reason to stop now." 

       He turned to his locker as I stood by the door of the locker room. "Okay but why did you bring me but not call Scott? Just because I was easier to get to doesn't mean that I have to come with you everywhere." He pulled out his phone and waved it at me. "Who do you think I'm calling right now?" I rolled my eyes and nodded. "You remember that idea you had? The present full of screws that we took from coach's office? Well, the string is in my locker can you get it?" I nodded again and turned, leaving the room.

         School after dark was always creepy. Whether we were here for a normal reason, such as tonight, even though mischief night isn't that normal of a thing. Or like last year, when Scott got bit and we spent the night running around trying not to get killed by the alpha, well Peter. Compared to Scott and I's lockers, Stiles' locker was probably the farthest one from the locker room so I had a long walk. 

       "God dammit, was he not able to get this himself." My phone buzzed in my pocket causing me to jump and I glanced at the screen, Lydia. "Hey Lydia. What can I do for you at midnight?"

      "I'm sorry. Did I wake you up?" I shook my head and sighed. "No. Actually, Stiles dragged me to the school. The whole Coach thing or whatever. What's wrong? Are you alright?" 

      "Yeah yeah I'm fine. I just can't sleep and thought I'd call you." I smiled lightly as I turned a corner only to be met with a figure dressed in black that seemed to have just appeared. "I-" My feet shuffled back as I tried to get away from the figure but when my body faced the other way I nearly ran into another one. No matter which way I turned there was a tall figure, dressed in black, with a shiny mask on. The mouth of it pulled into a frown and the eyebrows pulled down, as if it was angry. 

      "Jayla? Jayla are you there?" I tried to stutter out Lydia's name but wasn't able to. "L-Lyd-" One of their hands shot up and grabbed my face, staring into my eyes. A burning feeling spread onto the back of my ear and my body stiffened, my knees locking and letting me fall to the floor as the figures disappeared. "Jayla! Jayla." My entire body shook as my phone slid out of my hand, Lydia's voice not meeting my ears. 

            "Jayla, oh my god. Jayla!" Hands fell onto my shoulders as my body was lifted off the floor by Scott. "Jay, oh god you're freezing." Footsteps came from down the hallway and I could only guess it was Stiles. "Stiles, give me your sweatshirt." All I could hear was a zipper and then there was a sweatshirt over my chest and like Scott asked it was Stiles'. "Here let me see her." Stiles' voice made me shake as I was shifted, going from Scott's arms to Stiles. 

        "Just get her warm. Maybe that will help her." Stiles nodded and tilted my head so I was looking at him. "C-cold." All I could get out was that word, Stiles got my to put the sweatshirt on completely and I shook against him. "You're alright. You're alright." He tightened his arms around me and I could feel the fright pouring into me as everything settled in. 

         "They just appeared. I didn't- I didn't see them." Stiles hushed me as I slowly got myself to stop shaking, slowly coming back to a better state of mind. 

       Once the coldness left me I stood up and sighed. "Are you okay?" Stiles put his hands on the side of my face as Scott walked back into the hallway. "Yeah, she's okay. Looks a bit shaken up. but okay." Stiles dropped his hands to his sides quickly as Scott came up to me. "Lydia." I took the phone from Scott and sighed. "Hey Lydia."