Chapter 9

A/N: You, funky monkeys, are so awesome, I wanted to give you a small treat. The story that Nathaniel is writing at the beginning of this chapter is an excerpt from a book I'm writing. Enjoy ;)

*****

Nathaniel's POV

Dead.

Everyone was dead.

My enemies. The dozen men patrol I came with. The people we were supposed to help. They were all dead.

All but the young woman, perhaps still a girl, who was now standing in front of me with a drawn sword, blood drops dripping from the blade to the ground and making a puddle there.

She was medium height for someone of her species – human - and had almost waist-long black hair. Her skin had an interesting shade - a healthy milky white.

She had a pretty face and an appetizing figure.

But what I found most striking about her appearance was the color of her eyes. They were such pale bluish-grey that they were almost white. And that rare shade seen in a human meant one thing: magic. The girl was either blessed by, cursed by or possessed magic.

I watched her during the battle. I saw her kill her attackers. She fought well. Better than some of my men. It was why she was still alive.

But who was she?

I voiced my question, but she did not respond. She just stayed there, looking me over with her unusually-coloured eyes slightly narrowed. When the girl was finally done with her assessment, she clenched the sword even tighter and repositioned herself so she could maneuver easily.

So she set her mind on fighting me, huh?

I put the pen on my desk and leaned back in my chair, musing on how to continue the scene. I closed my eyes and tried to imagine them both, but my attention was drawn to the demon Lord.

So handsome.

So powerful.

So cruel.

In times of almost constant war, he had to be the last of those. The world I had created was a cruel one, why shouldn't one of the best warriors in it be that way as well?

I did not have to make him handsome though.

I did not have to make him tall, muscular or with large shoulders. With beautiful lips, turned in a wicked, but enticing grin. With strong legs, with hard, chiseled abs...

I shook my head, opened my eyes and looked at my own stomach.

No chiseled abs were hidden underneath my dark green turtleneck. I pinched the part just below the belt, frowning at the layer of fat.

I didn't have the gorgeous body of Lord Alaric, nor the sexy, slim, but muscled torso that Hunter had.

I had fat.

I wasn't overweight, but I had fat.

And I didn't want it there.

I sighed.

I had never been this self-conscious about my body before I met Hunter. I had aimed to be fit, but I wasn't worried about extra pounds the way I was now.

Would Hunter still love me if I was fat?

He had the most amazing body and I... I was average.

He said he has fun with me, that he likes how smart I was, but in a relationship, there should also be physical attraction, right?