39. For Derrick

My hands were still trembling and I was shaken up. Flashbacks of staring down the barrel of a loaded gun invaded my mind. I was only moments away from taking my last breath. To think that if Xavier and Alex showed up just a few seconds later, I would be gone was disturbing. But at the same time, I wondered what it would feel like to have nothing to worry about. Would a weight be lifted off of my shoulders to know that I didn't thane to worry about Eli or my father?

"Charli," Xavier's voice pulled me from my thoughts. He sat in the driver's seat, making eye contact with me through the rear view mirror. "You okay?" His voice was low but filled with worry.

"I'm fine." I lied and forced a smile on his face. Alex glanced back at me from the passenger's seat, then at Xavier. They gave each other a concerned look, then turned their attention back toward the road. I silently thanked God that they didn't interrogate me. I didn't know how to tell them that I was terrified. Not only for my life, but for theirs as well. By the looks of it, my father would stop at nothing to wipe Xavier and anyone that had anything to do with him off the face of the planet. So, all we could do was wait for him to make his first move.

Xavier parked in front of his mother's building and opened the door for me. I quietly thanked him and stepped out. He placed his hand on the small of my back and guided me inside. Unlike the last time, the building as nearly empty. The only person in the lobby was a young receptionist. When she spotted Xavier her eyes widened and she hurried over to us. "The building was evacuated an hour ago. Would you like me to notify the police, Mr. Grant?"

"No," he answered quickly, knowing that calling the cops would do us no good. They're what got us into this. So, we had to get ourselves out. "Is my family still upstairs?" He asked.

"Everyone but the children. They were evacuated as well. However, your mother left the building 30 minutes ago. I'm not sure when she'll be back." She spoke fast, obviously in a panic. Alex and Xavier exchanged looks once again.

"Thanks, Laurie." He nodded and smiled weakly. Laurie shuffled away hastily. We silently made our way upstairs to Mrs. Grant's penthouse. As I expected, it was hectic. Aunts, uncles, and cousins paced back and forth -- some angry and some distraught. I shook my head at the scene. I couldn't help but be a disgusted. I was disgusted with B.Dee and my own father too. The two of them had issues with each other and had to bring innocent people into it.

Xavier and Alex walked deeper into the apartment. They were greeted with warm, tight embraces and kisses on their foreheads. I watched the scene from a distance, holding back tears. It was evident that they were all close and tight knit. Something that my family was no longer. I would have done anything to have that back. "Everyone, this is Charli." Xavier motioned toward me. I was suddenly rushed with the same embraces. I was surprised but I didn't mind hugging them back.

"We're so glad to see that you're okay." A woman with long brown hair smiled at me. I could tell by her tear stained cheeks that she had been crying. "Now, all we need is for someone to tell us what the hell is going on." She continued.

"I'd like to know too." Xavier glanced back and forth between Alex and I. Honestly, I wanted to hear Alex's side of the story. He helped kidnap me, then he helped me out. Therefore, he had to know more than me. Alex sighed and began.

"A year ago, Charli's father, Michael Shaw, moved his cartel back to New York." He said. The room fell silent and I felt my palms start to sweat again. I made brief eye contact with Xavier. He didn't look too upset. "And Xavier's dad was working with the police to bust him. So, he was killed. And now, Michael is threatening to kill all of us." He voice trailed off. The room erupted in whispers. Xavier however, was quiet. He looked like he was thinking so hard that it was giving him a headache.