28. Out of Control

So I had to rewrite most of this chapter because Wattpad deleted it. I couldn't remember exactly what I wrote but if you already read it, you don't have to read it again. Nothing major changed.

Alex glared at me from across the nearly empty Cafe. I struggled to keep eye contact with Xavier, who was sitting opposite of me at the rounded table. Every so often, I would glance over his shoulder to find that Alex's piercing eyes hadn't looked away. Since Xavier and Astrid broke up, Alex started to distance himself. And by that, I mean that he hadn't spoken a word to Xavier and I. I wondered if it was because he felt badly for Astrid, or he was angry that I was with Xavier now. Maybe both.

"Pay attention to me." Xavier demanded, bringing my eyes back to his. I sighed dramatically and shook my head.

"I can't with him staring at me like that." I motioned toward Alex. Xavier peered over his right shoulder, glancing at him. He quickly looked back at me and rolled his eyes. He didn't seem too bothered by it.

"Just ignore him. I'm trying to talk to you." He said, frustrated. I pursed my lips and attempted to give him my undivided attention. His eyes were full of worry and I knew exactly why. He'd been trying to get me to talk about my emotional episode the other night but I was fighting it. How was I supposed to tell him about what Jared did?

"It was nothing. I just had something on my mind." I purposely answered nonchalantly in hopes that he was drop it. But Xavier wasn't that type of person. If he wanted to know something he would stop at nothing to find out. He gave me a quick look.

"It wasn't nothing." He tried to keep his voice low so the students entering the Cafe wouldn't hear him. "At least tell me what was on your mind."

"I already told I don't want to talk about it. What else do you want from me?"

"You can start by losing the attitude." He stated in a calm but hard voice. I rolled my eyes and sat back in my chair. "You're gonna' have to tell me eventually."

"I'll tell you when I'm ready." I spoke with hostility and I knew it was making him mad. He opened his mouth to speak but he was interrupted by Alex sitting beside him. His anger was prominent as his eyes darted back and forth between Xavier and I. Xavier gave me an annoyed look. It was obvious that neither of us were in the mood for him. We waited for him to speak.

"I hope you guys know how fucked up this is." He said, his tone calmer than I expected it to be. Xavier, already irritated, quickly responded.

"You're the last person that should be telling me what's fucked up." Xavier said in his most sarcastic tone. He tried to keep calm but he wasn't too good at hiding his emotions. It was written all over his face that he wasn't too fond of Alex anymore.

"Astrid knew about you and Charli the whole time but she was so in love with you that she never even complained about it. And the minute that you guys break up, the two of you are all over each other." He raised his voice a little bit. Xavier chuckled with the absence of humor.

"Yeah, she was in love with Kenneth's dick too." He said. I pursed my lips and looked between the two of them. They were both getting angrier by the second. I sighed and shook my head. The last thing we needed was to cause a scene. Not wanting anything to escalate, I attempted to be the mediator.

"Alex, can you just leave us alone for no-"

"Shut the hell up! If this is anyone's fault it's yours?" He pointed at me. I was taken aback at first but I couldn't bring myself to keep quiet. My blood started to boil. I had just opened my mouth to respond but Xavier beat me to it.

"You're just pissed off that she doesn't want you." Xavier's voice started to rise. Alex stood up from his seat and Xavier followed. The people around us started to turn their heads. However, none of us seemed to care. We were too focused on the situation at hand. Alex's face was turning bright red at the anger building up inside of him. I could already tell that this wasn't going to end up well.

"I don't want your home wrecking bitch!" Alex yelled. Xavier's balled up fist connected with Alex's jaw so quickly that if I blinked I could have missed it. My jaw dropped and I covered my mouth with my hands. Never in a million years did I think one of them would bring themselves to hit the other. Now, everyone in the cafe was watching in shock, whispering to their friends about the event.

I was expecting Alex to hit Xavier back but he didn't. Instead he stood there and glared at his former best friend. His jaw was clenched and his fists balled up. I wondered why he didn't react. Was it because he didn't want to make an even bigger scene? Or maybe he held too much respect for Xavier to hit him back. Or maybe he was just shocked. Either way, it was surprising. Every one watched as he stormed out of the cafeteria. Xavier loosened his fists kept his hands at his side. I quickly took his hand and began to talk out of the cafe and toward the exit of the building. As we were walking, I could see the guilt in his eyes. Lately, he had been on edge and I wondered what was going on with him. We came to a stop at the front of the building.

"It's okay, Xavier. He deserved it." I assured him. He examined his red knuckles.

"I'm not feeling bad for that son of a bitch. I lost my temper and I shouldn't have. I should know how to keep myself under control." He said quietly. I sighed and shook my head.

"We all have our bad days. It's alright." I told him. He nodded but still looked unsure. "You should go home and cool off. I'll be there in a little bit." I suggested looking up at him. He nodded again.

"Where are you going?" He questioned, taking my hands in his.

"I'm gonna' go up to the practice room for a while." I answered truthfully. He smiled down at me and there was an innocent glistening in his eyes. He pulled me into his arms and hugged me. I hugged him back, feeling him tighten his grip and rest his head in the crook of my neck. I furrowed my eyebrows. There was definitely something wrong with him and I wanted to find out. He kissed me goodbye and walked away toward the parking lot.

I made my way back into the building and up to the empty practice room. I sat at the bench and positioned my hands over the key. But before I could lose myself in the music, my phone vibrated in the pocket of my jeans. I pulled it out, finding a text message from a number that I didn't recognize.

347-555-2178 - Be careful with your little boyfriend. He's dangerous.