38. What a Christmas

After my father left the room Eli sighed and shook his head, stepping toward me. He looked slightly exhausted. "Why do you have to be so stubborn?" He asked, picking the rope up from the round, preparing to tie my wrists back together.

"I'm not stubborn. I just have a sense of loyalty unlike you." I scoffed. He rolled his eyes and gripped my wrists. There was no point in fighting back. I knew Kenneth and the other man that escorted me here were standing right outside the door. So, if I tried to run they would catch me right away.

"Loyalty to that Xavier kid? I'd expect you of all people to know that blood is thicker than water."

"If you haven't figured it out already, this family has gone down the drain. And you were the cause." I swallowed the lump in my throat. There they go again; the tears. I wanted to cry but I held back my tears. If they wanted to kill me, they were going to do it. Crying wouldn't stop them.

"I'll be back." Eli walked out of the cabin, leaving me in the dim room alone. It was dead silent. How long was I supposed to sit in this cold chair? How long was I supposed to wait for my brother or my own father to murder me? It wasn't until then, that I sobbed. I realized that there was no one I could trust. For 18 years, I felt protected around my older brother. Only to find out that he only had his best interest at mind. Then, Auntie Kel calls me a liar after I'm raped by her scumbag boyfriend. And to think that my father would suddenly pop into my life just to tell me that he would kill me if I didn't distance myself from Xavier.

At this point, I felt alone. And I hate to say it but I was even hesitant to confide in Xavier. After everything that happened, I wasn't sure who would be the next to turn their back on me. And Xavier had is own issues to deal with and mine will be put on the back burner. And there was no need to stress him out further. He had to focus on what was in store for him and his family.

The door to the cabin swung open but Eli wasn't the one walking in. Instead, it was Kenneth. The black bandana no longer hid his face. He cleared his throat, closing the door behind him. I quickly pulled myself together, refusing to appear so vulnerable. It didn't make much sense being that I was tied to a chair. "You should listen to your father." He said. I stood quiet. All I could think about was what Xavier told me -- "Let's just say that he's a little... unstable." -- "This is your last war-"

"What happened with you and Xavier?" I cut him off, hoping to get some answers. It was obvious that Xavier wasn't going o give them to me. Kenneth took a deep breath and looked down at me. "Why do you have it out for him?"

"If he wants you to know he'll tell you." His voice was unsteady but quiet. It was as if he wasn't prepared for my question. "Just know that I'm not as crazy as I seem." There was a hint of guilt in his voice. I was confused. Just a while ago, he helped force me into a van and now he was acting remorseful. I decided to keep quiet.

He suddenly lifted his black t-shirt and reached for the gun in his waist band. My palms started to sweat and my mouth dried out. His chest rose and fell as he took a deep breath. As he took a second to load the weapon, the fear finally set in. My hands were tied and there was no getting out of this. I swallowed the lump in my throat and tried to steady my trembling hands. He lifted the gun, pointing it at my head. I stared down the barrel, attempting to come to terms with my fate. He placed his finger on the trigger. I closed my eyes, preparing myself.

Pop! Pop!

The gun shots were loud -- so loud that it made my ears ring. That's how I noticed that I was still breathing. I could still feel my heart beating. My eyes shot open and Kenneth was lying on the cold floor. His eyes were wide open and blood dripped from his head and his chest. And to my surprise, standing over him were Xavier and another guy with a black bandana. My jaw dropped when I saw a silver gun in Xavier's hand. Never in a million years did I think that he could take someone's life.

"Check the back room." He said to the guy, pointing toward the hallway that my father walked down. The guy removed his bandana and I saw that it was Alex. He had to be one of the guys that helped kidnap me. So, why was he helping Xavier now? Alex hurried down the hallway and Xavier dropped to his knees before me. He rushed to untie my wrists.

"What the hell is going on?" He asked me as he pulled a pocket knife from his pocket.

"I don't think I have much time to explain. How did you find me?"

"Alex helped me out a little." He answered vaguely. I didn't ask anymore questions. He cut the ropes loose, allowing me to finally stand up. Alex appeared from the back of the cabin.

"No one else is here." He said. It made me wonder where on earth my dad and Eli disappeared to. Did they know that Alex and Xavier were coming? Xavier hurried out the front door and Alex and I followed. It was weird for me to see the two of them with deadly weapons in their hands but it was necessary at the time.

It was nearly pitch black out. All I could see was Xavier's shadow in front of me, so I followed closely. I noticed the tight grip he had on his gun, just in case something else were to happen. He was tense but who could blame him. I glanced back at Alex who was following behind me. He also held his weapon with caution.

We were silent. The only sounds I could hear were crunching leaves and cracking twigs beneath our feet. My lips parted as my heart rate pick up when I spotted Xavier's car. But leaning on it was a man in a suit -- my father again. Xavier and Alex hastily lifted his gun toward him. However, he just stood there with his hands calmly placed in his pockets. "I thought we were friends, Alex." He said with a smirk on his face, obviously taunting Alex.

"You thought wrong." Alex responded, holding his gun so tightly that his knuckles were turning white. I gulped in anticipation.

"I hope you and Charli realize what your getting yourselves into." He shook his head and exhaled heavily. Xavier raised his eyebrows.

"What are you talking about?" Xavier's big brown eyes darted between the three of us. It was evident that Alex didn't explain anything to him. And I was hoping that it didn't have to be me. What would he say when he found out that the guy treating him and his family was my father?

"I'll let my daughter give you all the details." My dad smiled at me deviously. That's exactly what I was afraid of. Xavier looked at me with hard eyes; not out of anger but pure curiosity. "You guys have two months to prepare yourselves before you see my face again." He stated, adjusting his jacket. He turned on his heels and began walking through the trees and back to the cabin. Xavier and Alex were hesitant to lower their guns.

Xavier took my hand and escorted me to the car. Alex rushed into the passenger seat and I climbed into the back. When Xavier finally drove away, the knots in my stomach loosened, my sweating palms cooled, and my heart rate slowed. I sat back in my seat and ran my fingers through my hair.

What a Christmas.

Sorry that this took so long. There's only one more chapter before the book is over. Hopefully, it won't be too long until I post it. Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope everyone eats well and has a great time with their family. I know I will.