30. The Missing Girl

I left Xavier's before he woke up in the morning. He snuck out at around one in the morning only to come back around four and slip back into bed. And I knew exactly where he went. I was almost asleep when he slipped away to the bathroom in the middle of the night and got a text while he was gone. I didn't plan on peeking but something was telling me to do it. He'd been acting so anxious lately that I had to know why. But I didn't expect to come across a text from his dad telling him that they needed to talk business and to meet him at his apartment in Brooklyn.

When a I saw the text, I was angry. Not because he didn't tell me but because he was still acting oblivious. Just recently, we had a conversation about his dad and he told me that he still didn't know a thing about him. So, now I was wondering just how much he really knew. And on top of that, the text I got was still at the front of my mind. I couldn't help but wonder if the two events were somehow connected. However, I wasn't going to bring it up to Xavier. I wanted to wait and see how long he would wait.

As I stood third in the Starbucks line, my phone rang. I glanced at the device in my hand to see Xavier's name across the screen. He was probably wondering where I skipped away to. I chose not to answer it and slid it back into the pocket of my coat. When I reached the front of the line, I ordered my usual; Hazelnut with half and half and three sugars. I told the barista my name and stepped to the side to let the next customer order. The guy behind me was a tall, thin, hispanic, guy. I tried not to check him out but when he smiled at me with perfectly pearly whites, I had to. I could tell by his eyes that he was around my age but his five o'clock shadow made him appear older. After a few seconds of treating myself to some eye candy, I turned my attention away from him. But he soon appeared again.

"Excuse me." He said, tapping my left shoulder with his finger. I turned around to face him and he was still smiling. I didn't mind because he was easy on the eyes. "I noticed that we ordered the same thing." He said matter of factly. I raised my eyebrows.

"I hadn't noticed." I said. He smiled and then shook his head as if an annoying thought ran through his head. I laughed but not loud enough for him to hear me.

"Actually, I really came over here because I thought you might like to hang out sometime." He suggested. My smile threatened to fade but I forced it. I didn't want to come across as rude when I turned him down.

"Um, I have a boyfriend." I told him politely. "Sorry." His smile faded as the Barista shouted my name from behind the counter. I thanked her, took hold of my cup, and headed for the exit door. Before I could reach it, I felt his hand on my shoulder again.

"At least have a seat with me for a minute." He motioned his hand toward the rounded tables at the of the shop. I shook my head.

"That's not a good idea."

"What, your boyfriend doesn't like you talking to strangers?" He mocked with a smirk on his face. I rolled my eyes. That wasn't it at all. I just didn't need him flirting with me.

"I'm not gonna' sit here flirting with you so if you don't mind, you can leave me alone." I walked out of the shop and down the street. I pushed that guy to the back of my mind because it would only irritate me more. While I walked to the school, my phone rang again and it was still Xavier. I ignored it for the second time. I would be seeing him in a few minutes anyway.

I got to the front of the building and Alex was standing at the door. I had every intention of walking right past him but that didn't go as planned. "We need to talk." He demanded. I kept walking into the building and he followed me. "Have you seen Astrid?" He asked urgently. I hadn't seen her since the argument and I wasn't planning on it. On most days I spent the night at Mama's. And every once in a while, I stayed over Xavier's. I didn't want to feel awkward while sleeping in the same apartment as my boyfriend's ex. And I'm sure she didn't want to see my face either.

"No." I said simply, picking up my pace. I knew that I was early but I wanted Alex to leave me alone. After what happened in the cafe, I didn't want anything to do with him. Even when we reached the staircase, Alex didn't stop following me.

"She's not answering any of my calls and no one else has talked to her." He explained. I admit, I was a little bit concerned but not enough to stop in my tracks. I didn't really know what to think. She probably wanted be alone.

"Maybe she wants some time to herself." I guessed. He paused, thinking about my response. With everything that was going on, it was a valid suggestion. There was no possible explanation other than that.

"You think you can stop by later on and check on her?" He asked me with hope. I raised my eyebrows and looked at him. He wore begging eyes. I shook my head, no.

"What makes you think she wants to talk to me?" I asked him. He rolled his eyes, now frustrated. After everything that happened, there was no way she would even look at me.

"Just try, Charli. What's the worst that can happen?"

I sighed and cursed myself for even considering it. I stopped in front of the practice room and looked up at him. It was obvious that he was asking this of me because he had no other choice. And me being the softy that I am, I gave in.

"Fine." I turned on my heels and entered the practice room, relived of his presence.

Sorry this took a couple days. I might update again later or tomorrow.