06. Eradicate

"You're quiet." Eli sat across from me at Mama's dining room table. We had been sitting quietly for nearly 30 minutes without exchanging glances. I was past the point of anger with him. After Derrick telling me about his situation and that Eli wouldn't help him, I didn't look at him the same. I took a deep breath and finally looked my big brother in his dark brown eyes. He looked exhausted, as he always did. I had no clue what I wanted to say to him but I had to start somewhere.

"I don't have anything to say." I answered simply, hoping to avoid a conversation with him. But Eli wasn't the type of guy that let things go easily. His thin eyebrows raised as he was taken aback. I looked down at my fingernails and started chipping the last of the purple polish off of them. I waited anxiously for his response.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He sat back in his seat, folding his arms across his chest. I could feel the tension building slowly but I wasn't going to back down. I made eye contact with him once again.

"Derrick told me about B.Dee. He told me you didn't want to help him out."

"That's what this is about?"

"Yes"

"Of course I want to help him but there's nothing that I can do, Charli. He got himself into this, now he has to get himself out." He snapped. I shook my head out of disbelief. How could he give up so easily? I sat quietly, not knowing what to say to him. I was afraid that if I spoke, I would eradicate our relationship even further. I kept my eyes on the tiled floor. "If it's that important to you, then you try and help him. But I'm not gonna' put my life or anyone else in this family's life in danger because Derrick made a stupid decision. He's not a child... he knows what he did." His eyes were intense. My breathing was getting heavier, as I began to get anxious. I just couldn't comprehend his logic. He didn't want anyone in the family to get hurt but he's willing to sacrifice his little brother.

Before I could respond, the front door opened and Mama appeared in the door way, followed by Derrick. Eli and I exchanged glances, mutually agreeing to keep shut about the conversation. It was completely silent as Mama placed her purse on the dining room table. I watched Derrick disappear down the short hallway and into his bedroom. Mama slipped her jacket off with worry in her eyes. "I don't know what's going on with that boy." She said, "he's been too quiet."

Eli stood up from his seat. "I have to get out of here. I'll be back in a couple days." He kissed Mama's forehead. She furrowed her eyebrows together, confused. He had told her that he would be spending the night but I guess he was shaken up by our conversation. As I expected, he didn't bother to say goodbye to me. He walked out of the apartment allowing the heavy door to slam behind him.

"What's going on, Charli?" She whispered. She didn't want Derrick to hear. I shook my head as if I didn't know anything. I usually don't lie but I couldn't tell her what Derrick was doing. If I did, her heart would be broken. I couldn't explain to her that her son's life was in danger. "Charli, if you know something I need you to let me know. I can't go on trying to guess what's going on. There's something different about him and I'm worried." She confessed. I tried my hardest to hold back my tears. I wanted her to know so badly but I kept thinking about what Eli said. I didn't want her to get involved because I didn't want her to get hurt. I had to figure this out on my own.

"I'm sorry, Mama. I wish I could help you." I answered. A long, exhausted sigh escaped her dry lips. She sat back in her seat and nodded. I couldn't look her in her eyes, knowing I blatantly lied to her.

♠️

I got back to Auntie Kel's house around nine at night. She sat on the couch with the TV at an unbelievably high volume. When she laid eyes on me, she didn't seem too happy to see me. I assumed it was about Jared. I got nervous, anticipating what she would say to me. She turned the television's volume down and motioned for me to sit beside her. I did as I was told. As I sat beside her, my body started to tense up.

"Jared told me what you said to him the other day." She spoke in a calm voice. Honestly, it terrified me when people didn't show their anger. Or maybe she wasn't angry. "I'm not upset about it."

"Seriously?" I questioned, looking at her with furrowed eyebrows. She nodded her head, yes. A sigh of relief escaped my lips. Thank god.

"I just want you to know that Jared is not who everyone thinks he is. He's smart and kind and he treats me really good. I. Don't want to lose him." She explained. I looked down at the floor as she spoke. "He's the best thing that's happened to me in a really long time, Charli."

"I'm sorry, Auntie Kel." I felt bad. I thought back on what I said to Jared and how it happened. I realized that I didn't know anything about him. I judged him based solely on rumors.

"It's alright. But next time if you have an issue come to me first." She told me. I nodded my head before she embraced me. When she left the room, I felt relieved. I was glad that we had the short conversation because it made me reevaluate how I treated Jared. Maybe he wasn't as bad as I suspected.

Okay so this was kind of a filler because I was blocked for the longest but I have some great ideas. The next chapter will probably be private. Also, read my new story, called Golden Gate. I have high hopes for it.