09. Addressed to...

As I walked out of Mama's building, I spotted Eli talking to a tall, brown skinned man. They stood alone in a dark corner beside the building. Eli constantly looked over his shoulder, making sure no one was watching. I made sure to keep out of his line of vision as I watched the two men converse. I couldn't hear what they were saying as I was too far from earshot. It took me a moment to realize that the other man was B.Dee. I immediately felt anger build inside of me. What were they talking about and why were they being so secretive? I was prepared to turn my cheek but then I saw B.Dee hand Eli a brown paper bag. I was shocked to see such a thing, being that B.Dee was usually on the receiving end. Eli quickly left B.Dee alone. Just seeing B.Dee was an eerie feeling. Growing up, I knew all of the terrible things that he did. Knowing all that he's contributed to making the neighborhood such an unsafe place made me despise him. And on top of that, bringing my younger brother into it.

I hurried away from the scene, afraid that someone would catch me watching. I had to find out what was in the brown bag that Eli was given. There was a good chance that it was just drugs -- I wouldn't be surprised. But my instincts were telling me that it was something way more important. For the moment, I pushed it to the back of my mind and continued to were I was headed. I got to Antonio's within five minutes. Mama wanted me to pick up pizza for the family. For the first time in a while, the entire family would be together at once. Usually, if Mama, Derrick, Eli and I are home then My youngest brother Allen wasn't. Someone was always missing. But this time would be different. Antonio, the pizzeria's owner already knew my order. He prepared it quickly, allowing me to return home sooner.

I got home just after 20 minutes of leaving. When I arrived, everyone was there. Mama was setting cups out on the table. Derrick was entertaining Allen in the living room with a deck of uno cards. And Eli sat at the table, pretending as if he wasn't just downstairs with B.Dee. Even though Mama knew that Eli and B.Dee were close associates, I don't think she knew the extent. I wanted to let her know but at the same time I didn't. She didn't need anymore stress. I set the pizza on the table in front of him, sending a glare his way. He rolled his eyes at me, thinking that I was still angry about the other day. I was still angry about it but that wasn't what my glare was for. I was going to find out what was in the bag if it was the last thing that I did.

So after we all ate, I took my chance. Everyone was in the living room enjoying the television. I excused myself to go to the restroom but instead I entered Derrick's room where Eli tossed his jacket on the bed. I searched the pockets of the denim jacket to find only a white slip of torn paper. On it was an address. Wherever it was to, it was in Long Island. What the hell would Eli be doing in Long Island? I pocketed the sheet of paper, looking over my right shoulder. I didn't have much time before they noticed I was missing for too long. I let my eyes scan the room for any signs of the bag. Lucky for me, my eyes landed on a brown paper bag peeking out of Derrick's backpack that was hanging on the doorknob of his bedroom door. I was surprised to see it in there since it wasn't Derrick's. Unless Eli placed it in there for a specific reason.

I tip-toed over to the bag and opened it slowly, trying my very best not to make too much noise. I peeked inside to find photos. It was of a building. The red brick was covered in graffiti. Trash was spread across the side walk before it and weeds grew from the cracks in the ground. It was obviously abandoned. I assumed that the address on the slip of paper was to that building. But what would B.Dee and Eli want with an abandoned building? Was it to keep their drug trade out of the streets or was it going to be used for something completely different. I had to know.

I closed the bag and placed the bag back in Derrick's backpack just as I found it. I made sure nothing looked out of place before joining my family back in the living room. When I got to the doorway, I found Eli hugging everyone goodbye. He was leaving so soon. He gave me a half ass hug before grabbing his jacket from Derrick's room and leaving the apartment. I noticed that he left without his bag, meaning that he intentionally wanted Derrick to find it. I pursed my lips just thinking about it. They weren't as sneaky as they thought they were.

Hmmm... I wonder what the abandoned building is all about. Sorry it's so short but the chapter helps set part of the story line. Comment, Loves!