08. Connections

I sat on the library's carpeted floor with my back against the wall. My legs were crossed at the ankles. On my lap was "Lies My Teacher Told Me" by James W. Loewen. I found it after searching dozens of bookshelves for something that would interest me. I never thought History was something that I found intriguing but my head was buried in the Bestseller. I drowned out all unwanted disturbances with Galimatias & Alina Baraz's Pretty Thoughts. I thought reading would pass the time that I was wasting waiting for Astrid to finish class. We were planning on going for lunch afterward. It was nearly 12:30 when an unknown guy sat beside me. He didn't speak but I noticed that he was reading the same book, though he was much farther along. I glanced but soon went back to reading. The guy sat beside me for almost five minutes without saying a word. I was ready to stand up and leave but he stopped me.

"I'm Alex." He said, smiling at me. I smiled back because that was the polite thing to do. Deep down, I was a little creeped out being that he spent five minutes sitting next to a stranger. "Charli." I said, trying my best to turn my attention back to my book. He was quiet but I could feel his chocolate brown eyes on me. I let out a deep sigh and closed my book. I stood from the floor, ready to walk away. He stood as well.

"Where are you going?" Worry dripped from his tone. My eyebrows furrowed inward. Was he kidding? I had no idea who this guy was and why he was so concerned about where I was going.

"I don't think that's any of your business." I fired. He raised his eyebrows and threw his hands up in a surrendering motion. I roll my eyes swung my bag over my shoulder. I started to make my way toward the exit door. He followed behind me.

"Sorry if I came off as a little pushy." he apologized, "I kind of just wanted a reason to talk to you." He confessed. I stopped in my tracks and turned to face him. He stood a few inches taller than me. He had big round eyes and caramel skin. His hair was short but with perfect waves. His smile was bright and wide.

"I'm flattered but I should get going." I lied. He looked almost disappointed. I felt bad but at the same time, I already had a first impression of him in my mind that wasn't going away any time soon. I turned to walk away once again.

"Don't walk away so fast." He hurried in front of me, forcing me to stop. "Get to know me first. If you hate me then I'll leave you alone forever." He negotiated. I pressed my lips into a straight line. He wasn't giving up and I knew that. I appreciated his effort but I wasn't in the mood for dating at the moment. Actually, all I wanted to do was finish my first year at Julliard in peace. Xavier was already once distraction; I didn't need another.

"Thanks but I'm not looking for a date." I shook my head. His full lips curled into a smirk. In that moment he reminded me of someone but I couldn't put my finger on it.
"I never called it a date. All I said was that you should get to know me. That could mean as friends." He argued. Raised an eyebrow, taken back. I wasn't expecting his response. A fire burned inside me as I felt a little embarrassed. "Are you blushing?" He asked.
"No!" I said quickly. That was it. He reminded me of Xavier. They had similar smirks and a similar sense of humor. Actually, I wouldn't call it a sense of humor; it was more like rude sarcasm. A grin grew on his face. I tried not to smile as he stared down at me but I couldn't help myself. I giggled as he chuckled. A few students eyed us as they walked beside us.

"So is that a yes?" He questioned, hopefully. I hesitated but nodded my head. I didn't have anything to lose by going out with him once or twice. It couldn't hurt. "I was hoping you would say yes" he handed me a blue pen. I shyly wrote my name and phone number on his hand. With that, he exited the library and into the halls of Julliard. Seconds later, a feminine voice startled me.

"Did that just happen?" Astrid appeared from no where. I nodded with a smile. I guess I was happy that someone was even remotely interested in me. I was hesitant at first, but then I started to see the bright side of this. For all I knew, he could be life changing. Or at least he could get my mind off of Xavier. Lord knows I needed that.

"Yes it did." I nodded. Astrid carried a surprised look on her face like she couldn't believe it. I wanted to know what was so shocking about it. She then smiled happily.

"I didn't think that you would be interested in Alex. If I had known, I would have set you two up sooner."

"You know him?"

"Him and X grew up together. They're practically brothers." She explained. My attitude toward Alex completely changed in a matter of seconds. That was why he reminded me of him so much; they must have been so much alike after growing up together. I didn't want to get to know him anymore. In fact, I just wanted to cut anyone out of my life that had anything to do with Xavier. Somehow, everyone I met was connect to him. I couldn't escape him.

"Interesting." I responded simply and quietly. Gladly, Astrid didn't notice. She just wrapped her arm around mine and started pulling me toward the exit. I sighed and pushed the thought to the back of my mind. All I could do was pretend like none of this happened.

Astrid and I walked a few blocks to a restaurant not too far from the school. We took a table on the patio as we wanted to savor the last few days of war, weather that we had left. Our waiter set menus down in front of us and left us alone. Astrid tied her hair up into a messy bun and pulled her sunglasses over her eyes to block out the bright sun. "X told me that your making progress." She spoke

"Not fast enough." I complained. I already had about four lessons with him. Xavier was a great teacher but I wasn't catching on as quickly as I hoped. I wasn't sure if I was a slow learner or if I was just too focused on him.

"He says your doing great. He wouldn't say that if you weren't. He's serious about his instrument; sometimes a little too serious." She rolled her eyes and I smiled, agreeing with her. Astrid and Xavier were honestly the cutest couple I had ever seen. That's why I was hating myself. I hated even thinking about what Xavier and I would be like together because I knew they loved each other. The way they looked at each other was electric. "Have you met any cute guys... Other than Alex?" She asked.

"Nope." I lied. She looked surprised but she let it go. Our waiter returned with two glasses of water in his hand. Astrid ordered a Greek Salad and I ordered cheese fries and a burger. If anything could bring my day up, it was food. The waiter walked away from the table once again. "Do you live in Midtown too?" I asked out of curiosity. She shook her head.

"I live right here in the Upper West Side." She answered.

"Lucky" I responded. She laughed, taking a gulp of her water.

"You live far?"

"Lower East Side."

"Why?" She furrowed her eyebrows.

"I'm staying with my Aunt." I explained. She nodded and stood quiet for a moment. She was thinking about something but I didn't know what.

"I'm looking for a new roommate. If you're up to it, you're always welcome." She said kindly. I smiled, feeling appreciative that she cared enough to offer.

"Thank you for offering. I think I'm okay for now." I didn't want to impose too much on her life. I already felt like I was too involved with her boyfriend.

"Okay. Just think about it."

What do you guys think of Alex? Next chapter will be up soon. Comment and Vote! And read Golden Gate.