XVI

"Don't you dare open that door." Lauren, her bare feet planted to the floor, was holding out her arm, her index finger pointed straight at Henry's heart. And in that moment she didn't care one whit that she was wearing nothing at all. She gritted her teeth feeling enamel grind against enamel and stared at him, watching as he let go of the door handle and dropped his hand to his side. He flicked his head to move the lock of hair that had fallen over his face. Lauren felt her cheeks burn as she looked at him, determining not to break eye-contact. "How can you walk out without giving me a chance to explain?"

"If you have a convincing explanation, I would be more than willing to hear it, but so far nothing you've said even comes close. I have to be able to trust you, and right now I don't."

"It's complicated," said Lauren, but the sharpness in her voice showed no sign of weakness. "But I can explain."

Henry raised his arm and pushed back his sleeve, checking the time on his watch. Lauren noticed his features scrunch into something that looked like pain, and she couldn't bear to see it. "I simply don't have time now," he said, lowering his arm and reaching for the door handle.

Lauren stepped over a pile of her crumpled clothes and walked towards him until she was far closer than would have been socially acceptable in any other situation. She tilted her head back to look at him and found him staring down at her, the intensity of his gaze causing her insides to melt. "I'm in love with you," she whispered, letting the words tumble uncontrolled from her lips.

Henry closed his eyes and let out a long slow breath, as though he were completely exhausted and this was the last thing he would ever have to do, the last moment of tedious life that he would ever have to endure. "I know," he said. "But even people in love do stupid things" - he rubbed his jaw and looked at the floor - "especially people in love."

The look on his face and the way his voice had dropped to an inaudible murmur unnerved Lauren, but she continued: "I'll tell you everything. Just don't leave." Henry looked up once more and let his eyes rest on hers for an indeterminable length of time. Lauren finally ducked her head, unable to bear the weight of his gaze upon her, and with one hand she pulled at one of the buttons on his coat. In the moments she waited for him to speak she felt as though he were slowly strangling her, squeezing the life force from her body. She pressed her free hand between her breasts, as though to stay the physical manifestation of the pain she felt.

She heard him move before she felt his arms around her, she soft cashmere of his coat against her back, her stomach, her thighs. She slipped her arms inside it, warm and protected against him, feeling the solidity of his muscles beneath his suit. His lips met hers, soft and gentle, as though he feared she would break in his embrace; not rough and greedy as they had sometimes been during the night. "I can't stay," he said, pulling back from her. There was a sadness in his eyes that Lauren couldn't fathom. Didn't he believe her? What was there to be sad about? "I'll come to the club, tonight. Your last night." And then he kissed her once more before extracting himself from her arms and disappearing out of the bedroom.

Lauren listened to his footsteps as he walked through the suite and out into the corridor beyond, thankful that the explosive nature of the physical attraction between them had been enough to give her a moment to talk to him. At least she had managed to stop him leaving, if only briefly. Had he left her in that rage, God only knows how she would have convinced him to give her a moment to explain herself at a later date; he had looked so hurt, so angry. What must it be like to be continually paranoid that people were out to ruin you? But then again, there were people out there who wanted to bring Henry down. She had to warn him. She had to make him listen.

She let her body flop onto the end of the bed, suddenly realising that if she left the hotel she would have to go back to Lydia's, and after the way they had spoken last night, it really wasn't something she wanted to do. But it was still early, and there was time to concoct a plan before she had to leave. Check-out time on the room wouldn't be for hours.