III

Lauren's laptop was one of the last things she had packed, and she reached out for it as she lay in bed, almost toppling over the side and onto the floor. With an effort she tugged it free and propped up her pillows so she could sit up in bed as the laptop booted up.

Into the google search bar she began typing phrase after phrase, 'Henry Banville', 'Banville Corporations', 'Banville Developments', soaking up as much information as she could.

Henry was thirty-three, and ten years ago he had started a residential development company with a friend called Edward Simpson. As far as Lauren could work out, they designed and developed exclusive residential apartments for high-net worth individuals in Central London. That seemed to be his main source of income, aside from the money brought in by the estate. But there were other business investments too, and Henry seemed to hold numerous non-executive directorships across various industries.

Then she caught sight of the button that said 'careers'. She slid the mouse over the screen, letting it hover over it. And then she clicked.

It brought up a long list of jobs, but at the very top was the PA role. She clicked again, bringing up the job specification. She ran her eyes over the list, nodding when she thought she fulfilled the criteria. Yes, she could do everything on the list with her eyes closed. She could screen phone calls, arrange office filing and data management, deal with incoming emails and post, take dictation, carry out background research and ensure that Henry was well-prepared for every meeting. Nothing here was going to cause her any trouble. But one entry caught her eye particularly:

"The private secretary will be expected to arrange international travel for Mr. Banville and any accompanying staff, securing visas and accommodation and will occasionally be expected to travel with him in order to take notes or provide general assistance during presentations or whilst liaising with clients."

She raised her hands from the keyboard and sat back, feeling the increase in her heartbeat with a peculiar satisfaction. She wanted that job. She wanted to work alongside Henry Banville; she wanted to prove to him that she was competent, capable. No, more than that. She wanted him to see that she was the best PA he would ever have; she wanted him to find her irreplaceable.

There was no way she was letting him dismiss her without a bit of a fight. Who did he think he was?

She picked up her mobile phone and called the number on the screen. Her palm was sticky against the phone and she moved her fingers as she let it ring.

"Good morning, Banville Developments, how can I help you?" The voice was clipped and upper-classy.

Lauren took a deep breath. "I wanted to ask whether the role of Personal Assistant is still open? Are you still accepting applications?" She blurted the words out. On the other end of the phone Lauren could hear the woman flipping through sheets of paper, before covering the handset and calling out to someone else. The sound was muffled but Lauren could still make out what was being said.

"Private Secretary. Has he appointed one yet?"

"No. He's being anal about it. I had to turn down two perfectly capable young women earlier. One of them went to Cambridge. I honestly didn't know what to tell her when she asked for feedback."

There was a brushing sound on the other end of the line, as though the woman was shifting the handset.

"Hello?"

"I'm here," answered Lauren.

"We are still recruiting for that role. Are you making the application for yourself?"

"I am."

"Send a CV and cover letter. Do you have the address?"

Lauren glanced at the screen on her laptop. "Yes. The one on the website?"