Chapter Ten

I wake up in the bed of soft pillows, blissfully aware of the safety of this room.

"Adrian," asks Tyra. She is already awake. "What did you do to earn so many favors?"

My expression darkens. "That's information I am not ready to share."

But her question brings back the memory I have shoved into the depths of my mind for so long. I try to push them back, but they have just had their first taste of freedom, and they want to be remembered at least once before they go back into the darkest parts of my subconscious.

I lay back onto the bed, close my eyes, and let myself remember.

I am in the Alaska State Orphanage. My room is cold and dirty. My sister, Audrey, is huddled in the corner, crying. I run over to her and hug her.

"It's going to be okay."

"No it's not!" she sobs. "You know it won't be."

I shake my head. She tells the painful truth.

Don't. I tell my mind, trying to stop. I've had enough. No more, please.

But the memory pushes on.

I am running through the woods next to the orphanage, my backpack slung over my shoulder. It is the only hour of the day that we are allowed free time. If I leave now, they won't notice I'm gone until dinner time.

I glance back only once, at Audrey, swinging sadly on the swings. I hate to leave her behind. A piece of my heart is left there with her, my only family.

But she didn't want to come.

"We'll die out there."

So she stayed, and I left, because I have work to do. I am only thirteen, but I need to leave here, to be on my own.

Fast forward one year. I am running through the streets on Christmas Eve. I have gotten very good at the job I have lived off of, and I make myself seem like a clumsy teen, running through the streets to get home on time.

I bump into exactly six people, and come away with their wallets.

Then I run to the alley I have been living in.

I live in a broken down Chevy. It doesn't work, and it's dirty and cold, but the windows are closed, and it's a roof over my head.

Of sorts.

I don't realize I'm being followed until I am in front of my home. One of the men I bumped into noticed the absence of his money, and followed me.

"What's your name?"

"Adrian." I say nervously. Then I realize I should have given him a fake name.

"Adrian, I'll tell you what. You give me my money back, and I'll owe you a favor, hmm?"

A slow smile slides across his face. "And if you give me the rest of the money, I'll owe you three. I own a hotel you know. You could sleep outside of that old thing for a few nights."

I smile, and hand him the money. On Christmas Eve I sleep in a soft bed, but I save the other two favors for when I might need them.

I move onto the next town, and find the local motel. I watch the manager and bump into him as he's leaving, slipping a gold watch off of his wrist. I deliberately make myself obvious, and he follows me.

"Give it back!" He says. "I'll call the police."

I smile. I am prepared for this. "If you call the police and they arrest me, this will be evidence. And police like to pocket evidence that they take a liking to."

This is a complete lie, but I lie as smooth as butter, and he hesitates.

"What do you want?" He says.

I grin. "A favor."

I continue with my escapade, all around the county, until I have a favor from every hotel owner and manager I could find.

I would have kept doing it, but then I run into Audrey.

She is on a field trip of some kind. When I ask, she glares at me with a guarded look and tells me it's a Shakespeare competition.

"Audrey," I say, "I miss you."

She says nothing for a moment, as if trying to remember something. Then, suddenly, she speaks up. "I heard you were robbing people."

My eyes widen, and I glance around nervously. "Where'd you hear that? It's not true."

But my little sister can see right through me. "Don't do it anymore, please Adrian. I'll never forgive you if you continue."

I stop. I can see she means it, but how else am I supposed to get money for food. I consider how many favors I have. I consider the jobs for fourteen year olds.

And slowly, I nod.

"I promise."

She smiles, and rushes forward to hug me. "Thank you."

I don't see my sister again until Christmas that year. I drop by the orphanage, but just for a second.

Then I am gone, and I meet Tyra, and I forget.

"Adrian." says Tyra.

I look up. "Yes?"

"The phone is ringing."

I hadn't notice. I pick it up.

"Hello? Adrian?"

I gasp. It's Audrey's voice. Then she's gone.

"Meet me at the Darrenmore Hotel. You and Melantha. 3:00 pm, Thursday. Or you'll never see your sister again."

There was a click, and the call ended.

Numbly, I put down the phone.

"Who was it?" Tyra asks.

"It was Officer Carson." I say. "He's going to kill my sister."

**********************************************************************************

A/N: MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm sorry. But really, you knew it was going to happen. There's the backstory on Adrian, hope it wasn't too lame for you.

Ummm.....You know.....It's a shame. The fact that only three people need to comment the word. THREEEEEEEEEEEEE. YOU CAN DOOOO IT.

Also...Haven't reached a hundred votes yet on the previous chapter. I hope you do it before I upload the next chapter, because otherwise Audrey's fate is unsure.

VCF, PLEEEEEASE. (vote comment fan, in case you don't know yet)

Love you more than a fat kid loves McDonalds.

-Raven