Chapter Two

My name is Carson.

The crazy girl has been taken back to the asylum.

I have come back here.

There are police officers dead all around. Blood stains the white snow.

I study each and every one of my comrades. Their bodies look like empty shells. There is something...unearthly about their corpses.

My gaze lingers longest on one of the bodies. My brain refuses to believe it.

She wasn't supposed to be here.

I rush over to Delancey's body, touching her delicate face. Her eyes are wide open. I close them for her. Then I close my own eyes in hopes that the tears won't seep through. They do anyway, and fall gently onto the cheek of the most beautiful woman that ever lived.

I cry there for hours.

She shouldn't have come to this assignment.

It's the girls fault.

My head snaps up, and every vengeful thought I was trained to resist as a police officer throws itself into my head.

Whispering thoughts of murder slither into the part of my mind that is supposed to remain rational.

I think that maybe I am as crazy as she is. But people always do crazy things for love.

They call her Melantha.

I call her menace.

Maybe soon someone will call me the same...

I stand and angrily stalk across the stained snow.

The white is blinding.

But I don't stop.

I won't stop until the girl is dead.

I walk until I reach the asylum, and the small part of my brain that is still rational tells me that maybe this is where I belong.

Because suddenly, I am as crazy as she is.