Chapter 2: Safe and Sound

The days following (Y/N)'s birth progressed to weeks, to months, to years. Time seemed to fly by for the happy couple after that incident. However, they never forgot it. Even so, (Y/N) showed no signs of being under Bill's influence. You would think that he would target (Y/N) while she is still young, but it doesn't seem to happen. At least, not in the real world.

When (Y/N) was barely three years old, she told her parents about strange dreams she would have in a "greyworld" as she dubbed it. She talked about different doors leading to different places and wierd creatures she had never seen in books such as a literal five-headed dragon or a hooded figure with eight dark eyes. Worried, her parents bought her a dreamcatcher and hung it on her bedboard.

The dreamcatcher helped, but her parents only assumed that because she didn't talk about her strange dreamworld once they got it. She stopped talking about her dreams entirely. That has continued for the next five years.

(Y/N)'s POV:

I opened my eyes to see my own house, its blue color and light grey trim standing out against the remaining grey area. I walked towards it, instinctively going home to my mom and dad. Walking inside, I saw a system of hallways with many many doors.

"I don't remember our house having all these doors. And I don't think downstairs has any doors."

I opened one of the doors to see my mom, dad and I sitting on the couch with a bowl of popcorn, watching Finding Nemo, when the mean fish attacked Marlin and Coral. I could feel tears in my eyes, thinking about the first time I saw this movie. Wait, now that I think about it...that is what's happening right now in front of me! This must be a memory.

I watched as my five-year-old self cried when Marlin saw Coral and the baby fish gone. Tears went down my face, reliving this sad moment.

"Mom, dad?" my memory self said.

"Yes sweetie?" my mom replied, looking down at me.

"Are you going to leave me?"

My mom and dad both hugged me, their strength demonstrating their will to never let me go. They always had a parental will stronger than any other parent; they love and care about me that much.

"No (Y/N), we will never leave you," my mother said.

"We love you too much for that to happen," my father followed.

I was fully crying now, trying to hold back my whimpers and sobs. It was the most painful experience I have had in my life. I don't want mom and dad to go away. I'd miss them.

I slowly backed out of my memory, closing the door slowly and quietly. Walking down the hallway, I saw so many doors, all probably holding my memories. I did enter most of them, and a lot of them were very happy. I don't like being sad; it makes my parents sad so I am never sad.

Before I knew it, my eyes began to close.

________

When I woke up, my mom and dad were on my either side. They smiled when they saw me wake up.

"Morning (Y/N)," they both said.

"Morning," I replied.

"How'd you sleep?" my mom asked. I sat up on my bed, stretching my arms over my head.

"Good thank you," I responded.

"Well, breakfast is ready. Get dressed, brush your teeth, and come down when you're ready," my mom said.

"Ok." They both left, and I started getting ready.

Bill's POV:

I've gotten in the habit of watching (Y/F/N) and his family. At first I thought I would hate it, but no. It's entertaining. They took care of little (Y/N), helping her with her every need. It was almost cute. Just like her.

Admittedly I have grown...attached to (Y/N), even without directly interacting with her. Although, that doesn't really mean a lot. She's just a human, a potential pawn. That's one of the reasons why I made a deal with her father when she was born. I just can't wait for when the time comes.

Once her parents left, (Y/N) got up and taking off her shirt to change. Not something I would be interested in seeing...well, not right now.

I left her room, which was simple for me since I was only a shadow. Only a figment of this dimension's 'reality'. They can't see me, but I can see them.

I waited patiently until I saw her get out and go downstairs. Following behind her, I watched (Y/N) and her parents.

(Y/N)'s POV:

Running down the stairs, the smell of eggs hit my nose, making my mouth water and my stomach growl. I ran faster down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"Aw, (Y/N), you look adorable!" my mother exclaimed.

I looked down at my outfit; a yellow tunic and black pants with red sneakers. "Thanks, mom," I smiled.

I sat down at the counter, eating my breakfast like I hadn't eaten in years. When I finished, my mom took away my plate then came back over to me.

"(Y/N)." I looked up at her, still chewing my food.

"How are your dreams?" she asked.

I swallowed my food and smiled up at her. "They're nice. I'm always dreaming about my memories with you and dad."

My mom smiled and walked around to me, hugging me. She held me tight, just enough for me to be fully comforted by her embrace. My dad joined in, too, hugging me tightly. I closed my beyes, allowing myself to be brought into the fluffy warm feeling of comfort and love.