The sound of cutlery tinkling down below pricked my ears, easily detected through the silence and increasing sensitivity of my ears. A wolf howl sounded in the distance - probably a pack member gone for a morning run.

With a languid stretch I arched my back, releasing some of the tension before moping around in the walk-in wardrobe fishing out some clothes to wear. I finally decided to grab the pair of black jeans from yesterday, as I knew they were comfortable and a new soft sweatshirt, but of course, I smiled picking out dinosaur socks from the draw.

Celia said Cesare was once obsessed with them.

I crept along the room, glancing worriedly at the sleeping form of my mate lest he stir from my soft footfalls. The door creaked open and I cringed, glancing at him but he lay in the same position and I slipped through, closing it softly behind me.

The pack house was silent and it eerily reminded me of my old routine to wake up earlier than the pack, making sure I was out of the way before conflict could escalate.

I found that I always got under their feet.

The thought of the Alpha caused a small flare of anger to blossom in my chest, surprising me with its sudden ferocity. I wandered the corridors aimlessly, distracting myself from the confusion of my emotions this morning.

The smell of sizzling bacon wafted up to me and I inhaled, suddenly feeling starved as I followed the scent towards the kitchen. A woman was frying bacon in a pan, her dark hair held up in a messy bun by a pair of spoons and she turned toward me with a light smile, almond eyes studying me curiously.

"You're up bright and early, Luna." She commented, turning back to tend to the pan and dump the bacon on a plate.

"I, uh, I couldn't sleep," I excused myself, now awkwardly watching the woman as she worked, "....sorry, um, what's your name?"

"Jun," she answered smiling up at me, reassuring my question wasn't out of place, "Would you like some breakfast? I'm making some for my son and a few other pack members already."

"Yes, please that would be really nice." I responded, gratefully, "Can I help you with anything?"

"That's very kind of you, you can make the pancakes if you'd like."

I nodded and moved to the stove, wondering how I was going to find everything and then how I was going to cook. I offered out of politeness and awkwardness but had never actually cooked before. It had been forbidden.

"Do you know what you're doing?" She asked, from behind me, causing me to jump back into the counter.

"I-uh, erm...no?" I answered, feeling stupid and ridiculous, I shouldn't have asked to help. I should have left the room and now Jun would-"Let me show you."

My eyes widened in surprise but I nodded, accepting her proposal. Although I wasn't sure if I should be surprised anymore.

**

Pancake making turned out to be harder than I expected, you had to be very quick to swill the mixture around or the pancake will turn out horribly. Luckily Jun didn't seem bothered by my failure, instead she simply laughed and told me to try again.

I think I managed to get the hang of things.

I was feeling much better, that was until my headache spiked in pain, plummeting a knife straight through my sensitive brain. My eyes lost their focus and Jun steadied me quickly before I burnt myself on the pan in front of me. Her blurry form pushed me back and I stumbled, falling into a chair ungracefully.