Wolf Search Part 11

Chapter 11

"I don't know I'm going to be much help if we come up against that wolf," Sansia admitted.

"Me either," Tony added hurriedly as the three of them left the lab.

"First thing we need to do is find some kind of weapon," Raydon said.

"I already have my weapon," Sansia said holding up a chemical spray gun. "I just left a science lab there is no way I would be walking out here unarmed."

Raydon looked impressed.

"What about me?" Tony asked. "I need something to protect myself with. Maybe I can get some of that."

"Don't worry, there's a basement just below this floor filled with iron bars and bits of tools left back from some recent construction work," Raydon said.

"I...I'm not really the 'swinging-the-iron-bars' type," Tony said. "Maybe you should get Robert to come with you and look for the wolf."

"I want you," Raydon said firmly and Sansia was surprised when the company president just held his head down sadly and trudged along behind Raydon.

"You'll have to get in pretty close to hurt it with an iron bar," Sansia pointed out.

"I'm hoping we won't have to hurt it," Raydon said.

"What?" Tony demanded.

"Let's just say I'm playing on a hunch," Raydon said and Sansia eyed him suspiciously.

"There are about ten rooms on each floor, are we supposed to check this whole building tonight?" Tony asked.

"No, if we can clear at least the floor below us and the floor above us that should be okay and then find a way to close them off. There's a canteen on each floor except in the basement, this place can hold us with food and water supplies for a few days. We just need to make sure each floor is safe so we can move around safely," Raydon said.

"Maybe we should wait until morning and check," Tony said and Raydon glared at him.

"That's not a bad idea Raydon," Sansia put in. "We would see better."

"Every floor is lighted. I prefer to act now and at least secure these three floors."

Sansia nodded.

"Fine, but let's not take any unnecessary chances."

"I wouldn't. Just push open the door and if the room's empty close the door and lock it. We don't want anyone going into these rooms after we've checked them."

They moved along the narrow corridor pushing open doors and peering inside and locking them behind them.

"That wasn't too bad," Tony said with relief as they reached the end of the corridor.

"I didn't expect to find anyone on our floor or we would have heard something before. We need to be more careful with the basement, stay behind me," Raydon said.

Raydon pushed open the basement door and headed down the stairwell.

"Did you hear that?" Tony asked nervously.

"I did," Sansia said.

"Just stay calm," Raydon said.

There was a scampering sound followed by the sound of boxes falling to the ground.

"Let's lock the door so no one can come down here," Tony suggested turning about and hurrying up the stairs.

"Is any one down here?" Raydon yelled. There was a soft growl and then silence.