Retreat Part 21

Please don't forget to vote and comment.  Thanks so much!

*****

Chapter 21

"Raydon is at the door, we have to open it," Sansia screamed.

"No, he's being chased," William yelled back. "We can't let those things inside of here."

Sansia grabbed at the key but William had anticipated it, he tossed the key far across the room and over the counter. Sansia turned to race after it but Robert grabbed her hand.

"Raydon is gone," he said.

"He's not gone!" Sansia screamed trying to escape Robert's grasp.

"Not dead, he's making a run for it and he wants us to do the same," Robert said.

"I'm not leaving him," Sansia insisted.

"We don't have time for this," AnneMarie yelled. "Just knock her out."

The wolves growled angrily.

"Raydon is going to meet us back at the office, he's going to want to see you there alive when he reaches," Robert pointed out.

Sansia looked hesitant. What if Raydon didn't make it?

"This is what he wants, he told us to leave through the front door."

There was the sound of clawing at the back door and then a thick dark nail came through.

"That's not Raydon," Sansia muttered.

"Then let's go," Robert said grabbing Sansia's hand and racing towards the door.

"We have to take the equipment," Sansia said. "This trip can't be in vain."

"It will slow us down," David said.

"If it slows us down too much we'll drop it and run," Robert said.

Everyone grabbed the bags they had packed and hurried towards the front door.

"We don't stand a chance," William muttered. "I should never have let you lot in here. I was safe in here until you came in."

Robert pushed open the front door and raced out pulling Sansia with him, David, AnneMarie and the wolves followed close behind.

William hesitated, thorn between leaving what had been a safe haven and knowing it was anything but that right now. After another growl and another nail burst through the door he raced out of the front of the building behind the others.

The sound of howling could be heard in the distance.

"They'll get through that door in a matter of minutes, we have to make this head-start count," Robert said.

Sansia gripped her side, acknowledging the pain there; Robert was moving swiftly and pulling her along with him. AnneMarie had managed to fall to the back of the group and was limping along.

"The girls are slowing us down," William said. He was remarkably fast for a middle aged man and was almost keeping up to Robert who was the front runner. The wolves were clearly not running at their full pace as they were trotting in almost a semi-circle around Sansia. "We have to cut them loose."

"You're right," Robert said stopping for a moment to inhale a deep breath. It hadn't appeared so but tugging her along was clearly telling on him.

"So why are we stopping?" William demanded. Sansia knew that if the elderly man could safely reach their hideout without them he would have continued running.