That other wolf Part 19

*****

Chapter 19

The door opened gingerly but Raydon strolled in as if he owned the place uttering a soft guttural growl in the process.

"Please don't hurt me," the short, slender, middle aged man muttered. "I would have let you in, really I would have."

"After we were dead?" Raydon demanded walking menacingly towards the owner.

Sansia's hand slipped inside of Raydon's.

"What's happening to you?" She demanded.

Raydon's nails were still extended and blood was dripping from their tips to the floor.

"Look around you Raydon, not just this jerk is afraid of you," Sansia pointed out.

Raydon halted and turned around slowly.

All the wolves and humans were still standing just on the inside of the door.

"Aren't you afraid too?" Raydon asked. "It's obvious I'm turning into a monster."

"You were always a monster," Sansia said smiling.

Raydon grinned, his nails started to shrink. He looked so much more like the calm, collected, vice president of marketing that she had come to know.

"So not much of a change?" Raydon asked.

"Barely noticeable," Sansia responded lightly. "You might want to get cleaned up though."

Raydon glanced down at his hand as if recognizing for the first time that it was covered in blood.

Raydon removed his clean hand from Sansia's and dragged it through his hair.

"I feel like I'm working on autopilot," he muttered.

"Instinct," Sansia suggested.

"I need your bathroom, please" Raydon said addressing his words to the owner; the last word almost an afterthought. The man still looked nervous but seemed to be relaxing a little more in light of the slightly changed attitude Raydon was displaying.

"Through that door," he said turning his body and pointing.

As soon as Raydon left the room the others hurried further inside.

"I don't know if we're safe around him," Annemarie said.

"He saved your life. He saved all of our lives," Sansia snapped back.

"I'm in agreement with you," Robert put in, "but I'm really feeling like he's losing it."

"Yeah, yeah," David agreed hurriedly as if he wanted his say before Raydon came back into the room.

"He's turning into that creature outside the office building," Annemarie said.

"You don't know that," Sansia responded.

"I say we grab some weapons and try to get back to the office without him," AnneMarie suggested.

"You wouldn't last ten minutes out there without Raydon," Sansia said.

"We do need to keep an eye on him," Robert said trying to sound calm. "If he turns we're all dead. Did you see how he ripped out that wolf's heart? Even the wolves are afraid of him."

"You know what? Do what you want to do. I'm sticking with Raydon," Sansia said flatly. She wasn't sure why she felt so angry at them for criticizing and fearing Raydon.