Platonic

Chapter 13:
Platonic

CLARKE'S POV:

With each day that passes, another year is added to my face. I think I'm seeing grey hairs already! I don't know how my father did this for so long and kept so happy. I need his secret.

I close my eyes while sitting at my desk. A long contract waits to be read in front of me but my eyes just won't stay open.

I call out," Jessie, can you make a coffee run?"

I hear the secretary jump from her seat and rush to my door. She knocks and then pokes her head in," Ms. Griffin, the coffee machine is broken."

" What's on my schedule today? Do you know?"

" I can check, I'll be right back," she hurried off and then returned only moments later. She smiled," You don't currently have any more  meetings, but you should know there's a new member on the board who had asked to accompany you to dinner."

I rose slightly," Oh?"

She smiled, leaning forward," He was gorgeous!"

" He came in?"

She nodded," You were in your meeting earlier, but he stopped in and brought you those flowers on the window sill." Jessie points.

I nod, following her gaze," Right, I didn't notice. Send my regrets, I have plans to sleep for dinner."

She chuckled," Are you serious?"

" You can be my replacement, how's that sound?" I faked a smile, raising the contract in front of me and began reading again.

She sighed," I'll let him know your schedule is booked."

" Thank you, Jess."

She pouted, slowly leaving the room.

I sighed," Jessie, wait. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be harsh, it's been a long day. I'm sorry. Why don't you go home?"

She frowns," The work day isn't done yet."

I faked a smile, beginning to pack up my things," It is for us, come on. I'm sure you have plans."

She breathed, smiling," Yes, I actually do. Thank you, Ms. Griffin."

" Call me Clarke, please. We're friends, right?"

She shrugged," I mean, yes, I would think so."

" Good," I stood up, holding my binders of paperwork and purse. I asked," What's your night look like?"

She smiles proudly," Birthday drinks with old high school friends."

" Who's birthday is it!" I cheered.

Jessie frowns, fiddling with her fingers. She looked down, then met my gaze again," Mine."

My jaw dropped," Oh my god, I didn't know. I'm so sorry. Happy...happy birthday, Jessie."

She smiled," Thank you."

I dropped my purse onto my desk, taking out my checkbook," I feel horrible for not getting you anything," I said as I wrote a check for her.