Progress

Chapter 12:
Progress

CLARKE'S POV:

|One Year Later|

I clicked my heels against the pavement, pushing passed the papparazzi and followed Kelly into the alley that led to the back of the building. I flicked my hair and gathered my breaths.

Kelly turned to me," You'll be signing around 200 books, the fans will come in around 10, and you'll take pictures and talk with the fans for at least two minutes then the guards will be pushing them along and the next one will be coming in, okay?"

I nodded," Just like the last ten cities, Kelly."

She rolled her eyes," Yeah, yeah."

The next hour or so was a daze, signing book after book, each with a unique message. After this last book signing, I convinced Kelly and our crew to go out to lunch.

We discussed the book and talked about our lives. We've been on plane after plane during these last couple days. New York was first, then Cleveland, Chicago and more. Wake up, plane, book signing, night in the hotel, and then do it all over again the next day. We never had much time to discuss our personal lives.

I wrote a book two months ago about life under the limelight. There's happy chapters, sad chapters and chapters that I could barely write without crying. It's riveting and surprisingly very personal.

While we're laughing and my editor is telling a story about her children, a black/curly-haired male walks passed the tables and towards the exit. I slowly rise from my seat, staring wide-eyed at the door to the front of the restaurant.

Kelly takes a hold of my arm," Clarke, what are you doing?"

" I just saw, did you see him?"

She shakes her head as they all look at the entrance. Kelly looks back to me," Who did you see?"

" No one," I whisper, sitting back down.

Kelly takes a sip of her drink," Yeah...sit down, crazy pants."

" I'm okay," I answered, looking down at my plate. I picked up my fork and looked at Kelly. She stared back at me with a confused expression.

" Is there any reason you did that?"

I took a deep breath," Can we get the check? I'm ready to go back to the hotel, now," I said. Suddenly, I grew uncomfortable. I felt that familiar ache in my chest. It went away for quite some time and now its found it's way back.

Kelly touched my arm again," Are you okay? You're looking pale. Like, really pale. Maybe you should get some air."

I stood up," Fine, I'll be at the car." I left my wallet on the table with Kelly," Take what you need, lunch was on me. I'm sorry I'm feeling sick all of a sudden." I took my jacket and then I rushed out of the dining hall, towards the doors.

One of the hostesses smiled," Have a good day, ma'am!"

I ignored her, pushing on the door and letting the cold air consume me. I took in a deep breath, grasping my jacket in my hand.

" Aren't you cold?" I heard from next to me. I slowly looked up, making eye contact with those piercing beautiful eyes. My breath was taken away. He smiled," Hi."