Chapter 10: That's What A Mate Is Supposed To Do

(Above is the pack hospital.)

~Alpha Ke'Yon's POV~
We rushed October to the pack infirmary. Hopefully we got there in time. This Pneumonounltramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is a killer. And it's better not take him away from me. I've done research and sometimes if this disease gets too bad, the one who carries it has to get a lung transplant. Now God forbid October has to have that. But if he does, well, that's what mates are for. I just hope we're not too late. So here I am, sitting in the waiting room.
"Alpha Ke'Yon?" Sally, our pack's doctor, asked.
I looked up at her.
"Yes?" I asked.
She sucked in a deep breath. Oh no... It's never good when a doctor does that.
"He needs a lung transplant. When you guys were fighting his other pack, it triggered the disease which was why he was coughing." Sally said.
"Why was he holding his chest?" I asked.
"He did that because if felt as though he couldn't breath. I would know because he was telling me this. I gave him a medicine that would only allow him to be awake for a few minutes. Just so I could get some information. He's asleep now." Sally said.
I nodded.
"Will I be able to give him one of my lungs? Or however those work?" I asked.

"You, Alpha, are the only one who can." Sally said.

That sentence shocked me. But I'll do it.
"I'll do it. I'll give anything if my mate needs it. You say it and it's his." I said.
"Everyone in this world needs a mate like you." Sally said.
I smiled at her as she smiled at me.
"I am what October wants me to be. And if he doesn't like something, then I change it. Only for him." I said.
"Yeah dude. Get rekt." Sally said.
"He says that all the time." I said.
"Good. Someone can get under that tough skin of yours." Sally said.
"He's the only one." I said.
"Come on. Let's go save your mate." Sally said.
I nodded.

----

So after my surgery, I requested that I be in the same room as October. Sally even positioned our beds so we're closer to each other. She's like a sister to me. Every time I got injured, I always saw her. And October seems to sorta trust her. I gotta admit, my chest hurts now. But for different reasons obviously. Although, I'm worried about my mate. I hope this works.

Sally rolled October in. He's still unconscious.
"His body gladly accepted your lung. Good job. See wolves can survive with only one lung. Well, we can survive easier than humans. But you get my drift. So he should be waking up in the next few hours. I will be giving him morphine. Which will put him to sleep but it's a strong ass pain medication." Sally said.
I nodded.
"Thank God. He'll be okay." I said.
"For all he's been through. He's a fighter." Sally said.
"I know he is. He's strong." I said.

"I'll give you two some privacy. Oh. And Alpha?" Sally asked.
"Mhm?" I asked.
"Be careful of what you say." Sally said.
I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.
"Why?" I asked.
"Because he can hear every word you say." Sally said.
I nodded. Sally smiled at us and left the room. I grabbed October's hand. His skin is so soft.

"Hey, sweetheart. How ya feeling?" I asked.
I saw his chest rise and fall.
"Sally, or Doc as you call her, said that you needed a lung transplant because of your Pneumonounltramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. So, I gave you one of mine. She said that the one she got rid of, er, transplanted was the one that had the disease in it. So you should be rid of it now. Hopefully." I said.
Still no response. But I watched as his hand tightened around mine. He can hear me.
"Alpha Ke'Yon?" I heard October ask.
His voice is raspy and hoarse. He needs water. Basically it means his throat is dry.
"I'm here." I said.
I hit a button which signaled an alarm. Sally rushed in. October looked at her.
"Hey Doc." October said.
"Hey. I'll go get you some water." Sally said.
October nodded slowly. Sally left.
"You gave me one of your lungs?" October asked.
"I did. But we can talk once you get a drink, okay? We don't want to strain your voice." I said.
October nodded. Sally came back in and handed October a tall glass of ice water. October drank it right down.
"Thirsty huh?" Sally asked.
October nodded.
"Did you want more?" Sally asked.
October nodded again.
"Be right back." Sally said.
October looked at me.

"You saved my life." October said.
His voice was normal again.
"Yeah. I guess I did." I said.
"Thank you." October said.
"Sweetheart... What's mine is yours." I said.
"Really?" October asked.
"Mhm." I said, nodding.
October grabbed my other hand and rested his head on it. I smiled.
"I'm glad you're okay." I said.
Mhm." October said, nodding.

When Sally came back in, he was asleep.
"Is he...?" Sally asked.
"Sleeping." I said.
Sally nodded.
"I'll put this in the refrigerator. To keep it cold. Hit the button when he wakes up." Sally said, eyeing the button.
"I will. Thank you." I said.
"Anytime. Anything for the Alpha and Luna." Sally said.
I smiled. She smiled back and gently closed the door. I sighed lightly and just watched October sleep.

I would give anything to help October. No matter what it is. It doesn't matter if it's an internal thing or to give up my pack. I'll gladly give it all up if it meant helping or saving him.

After all...

That's what a mate is supposed to do.