Home visits

Aurelia
I sit like a guilty kid in front of mom and dad as they stare at me. It's like I'm sitting in the principal's office waiting for punishment.

"Aurelia it's all your fault. If you hadn't left her alone at the party, or dealt with the boy in a more mature way, this wouldn't have happened to my baby girl." Mom says shooting daggers at me with her eyes. Blake sits on the other couch with his gaze low. Dad wants to say something but he lets mom vent it out. After we'd helped Willow change and put her to sleep, we came down. Initially after my explanation, mom had burst out crying and now we're here.

"What's your name young lad?" Dad asks Blake.
"Blake Agron sir. I study with your daughters at St. Joseph's."
"Oh are you Willow's boyfriend?" Mom asks him with stars in her eyes.
"No ma'am, I'm Aurelia's friend." He says and I want to kiss him. Oops no.
Dad nods while mom looks back at me.

"Aurelia, we'd expected you to be more responsible and take care of your sister. How could you be so careless?"
"Mom I said I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

Why exactly am I apologizing? Because my mom feels it's my fault. Initially I felt like that too, but after thinking it over, no one can really blame me.

"Ana, it's not Lia's fault, how can you even put the blame on her-" Dad is cut off by mom again. "Please let it be Gerard, if you had just done something the moment that guy first started chasing my daughter, this wouldn't have happened." Mom says as dad holds his head in exasperation. She glares at me in distaste again.

"Ma'am I'm sorry to interrupt and I know this is not my place to say anything, but I want to make clear a few things. Aurelia had very clearly warned Willow not to drink, she had also told her to call her if anything happened. The moment I told her I saw her sister with Tom, she had come rushing there. She cares a lot about Willow and it's really unfair to call her irresponsible as she's the best sister anyone can be." Blake says as politely and firmly as he can as I watch him with my jaw on the floor. Dad smiles a bit as mom tries to be nice to him.

Like come on, he's Blake Agron. The female population stops breathing when he walks by.

I smile at my thoughts and how mom smiles at what she says and softens up a bit. "I understand that Blake, I was just reminding her of her duties." There is silence for a while. Dad clears his throat. "Is Willow fine now?" I nod my head. "I think I should leave then." Blake says as he starts getting up. "Oh you cannot. It's 12:30 am, I can't possible let you go." Mom says as she gets up too.
"No ma'am I really should leave." He says.

"Blake you'll have to go back to the frat house to get your own car, you can't go there by foot. And dad won't let me go there again at this hour." I add. For some reason, I don't want to let him go, yet.

He seems to realize and sighs. He sighs a lot. Dad and mum retire to their rooms as they say good night to Blake and me. Dad also keeps a pair of his clothes outside for Blake to change. Whoa, they really like him. But for Willow of course. The way he carried her inside in his arms, they already think he's perfect for Junior Ellingson.

Blake goes in to change and I also change and sit in the drawing room which is dark except for a single dim light.

"Auri is this okay?" I hear his voice behind me and I almost tumble over laughing. Dad has given him his wooden sweater which is huge on him and even the sleeves hang out. There is also a pair of fuzzy trousers which is so loose it looks like he's wearing a skirt.

"So cute Blake." I say, my grin widening.
"I'm glad, so tell me what keeps you awake at this hour?" He asks me as he settles down besides me.
"Maybe this is my fault you know." I start, thinking about how easy it is to pour my feelings out to him. "Maybe I could have taken better care of Willow. Maybe all this could have been avoided even before, this is somehow my fault."

"Auri you need to stop feeling so guilty. Don't be so harsh on yourself. It wasn't. I believe in every word I said to your mother. All your life, you've been treated like that, like the elder responsible person, that you've forgotten that you are young too, and that you can make mistakes too. This wasn't a mistake, I repeat, but don't climb on your own self. Relax. Let things figure out. Open your fist and let some things go. It isn't worth being bottled up." He says softly. I look at his twinkling eyes.

"How can you say all the right things at the right time?" I ask in awe of him. I really admired him, I realize. He is an amazing person. He shrugs. "I say the right things to the right people, maybe."

And I swear even in the darkness, he can see me blushing.

"You know your mom loves you right, Auri." He says as his hand moves to tuck behind a strand of my hair. My body freezes at the touch.
"I do."
"Yes, she surely favours Willow more, but she loves you too." He says.
"It's always been like that. It's okay Blake."
He smiles.
Because you know what it's like to not have a mother, so you make sure others never feel the same way. You know what it is like to lose your love, so you hold others. You don't have anyone, so you're there for everyone.

I love you Blake, I love you. But I can never let you know that. Because it may be important to both of us, but we can't be together. You're a gushing, red blaze of fire, while I'm a lone trickle of water. And fire needs fire to be reckoned with, not water. We're perfect in books, but in real life, baby we just don't match.

___________________________

Vote and comment. This made me nostalgic :,)