Night of the party

Aurelia
"Hey." I say as I sit beside Willow in the verandah at the back of our house. This is one place where we used to play as kids and no one used to interrupt us.
"Hey." She says.

I kept a hand on her shoulder and massaged it lightly. "How are you? I heard about what happened today."
She pulled out some grass from the ground. "It doesn't matter Lia." She refers to me by my childhood name. "He's an asshole Low. I gave him a earful today." I say as even I refer to her with her childhood name and smile. "You did?" She looks at me. "I went to him and shouted at him. There were also Andrea, Melanie, Seb, Jake and others with me. They also shouted at him. Poor guy was cornered."

"Even Seb? Gosh he must have shouted so bad at him with his gruff voice!" She laughs finally. It fills my heart with warmth by listening to her laughter. I know she bunked school today, it must have hurt her bad this time, so I don't shout at her. Her happiness means a lot.

"I also have a surprise for you." I add.
"And what is that?"
"Tomorrow Jake is holding a party at his place, the ones you like, and he extended the invitation to you too."
Her eyes light up. She loves partying.
"Will you be coming too?" She asks with hope in her big eyes.
"No it's not my scene. I'll be there at the coffee shop next to his place. I have a project to work on so the caffeine will keep me awake. And then I can pick you up after three to four hours and go home." She hugs me and looks at me with gratitude and love in her eyes. I kiss her forehead and move to my room.

• • •

Willow
I wear my black pumps before applying another layer of thick mascara and texting Jess.

Aurelia is dropping us. When will you be ready? -W

I'm ready. Pick me up. Lindsay is coming with Ashton. -J

Ashton is Lindsay's current boyfriend. The relationship has been steady for the past six months, I don't know how it will continue further but let's hope that it does. I get dressed quickly and go down to see Aurelia talking to dad about some issue of petrol going on in the UAE. Aurelia and dad, they keep talking about intellectual issues like these. To be honest, it sometimes makes me feel dumb but then when I look at myself, the insecurity goes away.

"Lia I'm ready." I say as I walk down the stairs.
"I'm ready too." She says as she munches on a banana and grabs her bag. At the same time, I hear a knock on the door and go to open it. There stands Jess in a red dress running a hand through her auburn hair.
"Hello Mr. Ellingson, hello Aurelia." Jess says as she enters the house and sits on the couch.

"Hey Jessica." Aurelia says and dad smiles at her.
"Do you need anything or can we leave now?" Aurelia asks Jess as I nail my fingernails.
Jess shrugs and we follow her to Lia's car. She gets inside from the driver's seat and Jess sits behind.

"Willow, you may drink, but not so much that you go completely drunk and can't even walk. I'll be the driver so just call me. If by chance you don't, I'll come to that place at 11:45 pm. Just steer clear and if that guy Tom troubles you, I'll be there."

"Geez okay mom." I say as Jess laughs.
"I'm serious Low."
"Will Blake Agron be there?" Jess pipes in from behind and pokes me in the side with her finger.

Aurelia looks a bit hesitant before she smiles and adds,"Yes he has already reached."
I squealed as Jess poked me some more.
"Then why aren't you there? You're Blake's best friend aren't you?" Jess asks.

Lia replies,"Yes, but he understands that I had a study night tonight and he also needs to hang out with his football team. They might just throw him out then."
"How can you hang out with him without falling for his charms? That guy, God's gift he is." Jess says again. I roll my eyes at her.
Aurelia gives a smile. "There's so much more to him than his looks."

"It seems like you like him." Jess says and I almost want to strangle her.
"Jess stop with the ridiculous questions. Blake is nothing more than a friend to Lia, she's given me her word." I say and she shuts up. I look over at Aurelia who has a blank expression on her face.

Aurelia
Why does she need to do that? Trust me so much that I feel guilty. She likes Blake, and she has a claim on him. Not really, but Blake doesn't like me. He'll like Willow though, she's more like his type and they'll look good together.

Willow has been hurt in life before and she doesn't deserve it. A guy like Blake is perfect for her. He'll take care of her. As for me, remember I don't do love.
I am here to make a career and bowl over everyone with my brains. If I ask Blake, he'll give a chance to Willow. She also likes him a lot. I don't even fit in here. I'm just a catalyst along the way, so that Blake and Willow end up together. They'll be really happy together.

So then why does my heart feel like it will break the next second?

I stop in front of the big house and Jess and Willow get down. She thanks me and I survey the area. It's a typical frat house scene. Jake had invited me but I'd refused. Exams are there the next month. I can't let my guard down.

Near the pool, I spot Blake. It looks like he doesn't fit in here, yet he blends right in. He smiles yet it doesn't reach his eyes. And I realize it's always been like this, but I noticed it now. His eyes seem to glide over to my side and before he can see it, I speed my car off outside the gate.