Midnight phonecalls

Willow
I get inside the house thinking about what a thorough gentleman Blake is. He's perfect. I set my bag down on the table and head towards the kitchen. I see mom working out some calculations in her budget notebook. I'm lucky to say that I have a complete family. A happy family is a myth for some people, and I'm not one of them. I kiss her on the cheek. "Do you want some food?" She asks me. I shake my head and head towards the bedroom. Aurelia is not to be seen anywhere. I open my phone and go through my some eight thousand pictures or something. When I go to the very start, I can see my images with Max. I flinch outwardly. Tears don't sting my eyes like they used to. But the pain, it does my go away. It pricks me in my heart. I want to delete the images, but I can't. One fine day, maybe I might get up and try to move on. Maybe the pain will only be a matter of past. Maybe I could look at his pictures with no feelings at all. He hurt me, dragged me down, and I loathe him with every cell in my body, but I still love him somehow. After all you can only hate the people you've once loved. Love and hate, both are very strong feelings, and they aren't even the opposites of each other. If you don't love someone, you don't hate them, you simply don't have any feelings for them. And then again if you don't hate someone, you don't love them either. And I did, I loved Max once upon a time and I hate him now.

Aurelia
As I curl up in my bed to sleep, I get a phone call from Blake. A smile crawls on my face as I turn to look at Willow. She's fast asleep. I pick up my phone and whisper,"Hello."
"Hey." He says softly back.
"You're awake so late in the night?"
"I could ask the same to you."
"I couldn't sleep."
"Same here."
"Why?"
"You say first."
"Just some memories keeping me awake."
Why do we turn so honest after midnight?
"Same here."
"So tell me why did you call? To check if I was awake?"
"Let's go out tomorrow."
"We could've discussed it tomorrow."
"I'm not talking about the general out. I want to take you to Liverpool."
"That's like a whole town away I guess."
"Yes it is. But we'll be back by the evening."
"Okay, but where are we going?"
"Surprise!"
"Come on Blake."
"Okay, we'll just be touring the place. There is a museum, a book exhibition and a beach along the way."

Somehow the words museum and book exhibition excited me. I leaned in closer to the phone, like getting closer to it would help me get closer to Blake himself. "Oh, but why are we going?"
"I want to visit these places."
"Why tomorrow itself?"
"Auri it's taking place tomorrow itself."
"We'll have to miss school."
"We can do that for a day."
"I've always had 100% attendance."
"There's a first time for everything."
"But why are you so hell bent on taking me? Do you feel pity for me or do you have no other girl to take?"

Shit. I bit my tongue. That was too much. Here he was, being a friend, and I had to ruin the moment with my stupid assumpions. I heard a sharp intake of breathe from the other side and the next moment, the phone went dead. I pulled the pillow to my face and screamed in it. From the next bed, I heard Willow shifting, so I stopped making any more noise. For the next five minutes, I stared at the screen of my phone. If I felt shitty before, I was feeling terrible now. He was one guy that made me feel ridiculous things like butterflies in my stomach and I blew my chance. I was just about to switch my phone off when it showed Blake's name on it. Wow.

I pressed the phone to my ear and whispered sorry the same time as he did.
"Why are you saying sorry?" I ask.
"Because I hung up on you."
Whoa. A guy that apologized to you when you hurt him. Rare.

"I totally deserved that. What I said to you was completely illogical and stupid, I shouldn't have said that. I'm sorry I hurt you, I don't mean anything of what I said." I ranted out.
"Aurelia." He said softly and so deeply that a chill ran down my spine.
"Yes." My voice seemed so tiny to his that I felt like a mouse. The one from the lion and mouse story.
"I understand. But what you need to understand is that I choose you, not because I don't have anyone else, but because I want to. And pity, not at all. Why would I pity a girl who has everything?"
"I don't have everything."
"Yes you do Aurelia, you have everything that a girl could ask for. It'll take time for you to realize it, but yes, you do."
"Like?"
"Like brains, intelligence is uncommon. Even zombies like them."
I laugh at his joke.
"So yes, you're coming with me tomorrow."
"Yes I am. And Blake?"
"Listening."
"Thank you."
"For?"
"Being you."

I could hear him smiling from the other end and tiny butterflies fluttered around in my stomach. "Good night Auri."

"Good night." And the phone line went dead. I tossed and turned around in my bed. I smiled so wide that I thought my lips might tear across my face. Maybe tomorrow I'll file my nails and wear heels. Not that he has ever mentioned it, but would it be wrong to doll up a bit? Of course, I do apply make up and wear trendy clothes once in a while, but it will be a totally different thing to look good for him. Somewhere inside, my subconscious tells me Auri, it's not a date, nor do you know if he likes you.
I shut it off and doze off to sleep.