Chapter 26: Coffee House

The Coffee House, a local coffee shop, was only a couple of blocks away from Mary's place. It was small, but popular. The baristas were prompt in filling out people's orders and greeted people by name. Everyone seemed to know each other; Diana felt out of place. She didn't know anyone in her new community.
     "Hey. What would you like young lady?"
     Diana looked up at the tall man behind the counter, the owner of the coffee shop. "I wanted to check in on the job that I applied for."
     "You must be Diana. Sorry darling, but we wanted someone with a bit more experience who knew our community well. Let me get you a coffee though- on the house."
     Diana smiled as he began making her a small coffee.
     "You must be new to town," he said as he handed her the hot cup of coffee.
     "Yeah. I just moved in with my sister."
     "Are you gonna be going to high school here?"
     "Yeah. I start tomorrow."
     "Well, you'll probably see my son there. His name is Jack. JACK!"
     A tall brunette boy working behind the counter walked over.
     "Jack, this is Diana."
     "Hey, Diana."
     Diana waved, finding it a little awkward to start meeting people she'll be in school with now.
     "She'll be going to school with you starting tomorrow. Why don't you make her feel welcome."
     "Can do, pop."
     "Good. That's all, Jack. You can make Shirley's coffee now."
     "Sure thing. It was nice to meet you, Diana. I guess I'll see you around." Jack walked away and continued working.
     "Diana- before you go, I want to let you know that some of the kids from school study here on Thursday nights. I close up except for the students so that it's quiet. You're welcome to come if you'd like."
     "Thanks...."
     "The name's Mr.Holinsday."
     "Thanks Mr. Holinsday."