Chapter 14: Mary

Diana fell asleep quickly after it got dark. She slept until she heard a loud crash in the room. She looked around frantically and rubbed her eyes.

     "Hey. Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you. If you want, I can wait until you're ready to go grab some breakfast."

     "What?!"

     "I'm your roommate, Cynthia. What's your name?"

     "Diana."

     "Sorry if I have frightened you. Everyone shares a room here. My last roommate just got an apartment of her own. You're lucky to have found this place. Well, I mean, if you're here you're probably not very lucky because that means you got kicked out or ran away or something like that because your parents don't love you. This is a great place though. They really help everyone get up on their feet."

     Diana got out of bed, still in her clothes from the day before.

     "Oh, cool. You're already dressed. Breakfast time starts soon. Come on!"

     Diana followed Cynthia to the dining hall and for the first time, she realized just how many people were there.

     "Follow me. The line starts over here."

     Cynthia lead Diana through the breakfast line unaware of the surprise waiting for her at the end.

     "Hey, Diana. While you were asleep last night, we got a call for you," Maya said as she stood at the end of the line.

     "A call? I didn't think anyone knew I was here- well other than Amy."

     "Follow me Diana."

     Maya lead Diana into another room where a woman was patiently waiting for her. When the woman turned around, Diana couldn't help but smile.

     "Mary?! Is that really you?!"

     Diana ran towards her and gave her a huge hug.

     "Yeah. When mom and dad kicked me out of the house, I ended up here. They helped me find a job and eventually I was able to support myself. I wanna take you home, to where I live now. It's not too far from here and there is a school nearby that would be happy to have you."

     "You've been gone for so long!"

     Diana wouldn't let go of her sister for a long time. When she finally let go, Mary helped her get her stuff before walking her out to her car and going home.