Chapter 19: Times Have Changed

"I have an idea of where we could eat. There's this Italian place not far from the park."

"It's not expensive is it?"

"No, Mary. I don't think so."

"Okay. Just give me a minute to bring down the puffiness of my cheeks and we can go.'

On the car ride to the restaurant, Mary wanted to figure out what she had missed in her years away from home. Diana was excited to tell her everything, but was careful talking about Isaiah.

"So, Diana. Why did Jonathan kick you out of the house?"

Diana took a deep breath, "He wanted me to go to conversion therapy, but I refused. The church actually gave him the idea, but people die in those camps. Of course, the church already knew that I was involved with someone and Jonathan wouldn't have me ruining his family reputation."

"Gosh. The no sex thing has really taken its toll on the church. When i was your age, abstinence was the way of the church because they didn't want young women getting abortions and no one said anything hateful towards jim and Timothy. All of a sudden, the church noticed that people were having sex with people of the same gender identity because it was 100% perfect birth control and it was never taught to actually be sex in sex education classes, so no one thought twice about it being intimate. Now they want to fight same-sex couples because they can have sex whenever they want without the consequence of pregnancy. The church saw no punishment by God for this sex so they decided that 'God must really hate you if he won't even punish you himself, so we don't want you here anymore.' As soon as the church taught it, everyone either blindly followed like sheep or found a new place of worship."

Diana was still and silent.

"Sorry, That was a bit much, but for such a loving religion, the congregation spreads so much hate."

"That's alright. It's nice to know that my sister supports me."

"Diana, you were born this way and God has his plan for you."

Mary parked the car and Diana looked outside to see the restaurant.

"Yep. That's the place," Diana said as she thought to herself 'that's where Amy works.'