Chapter 1: Expectations

It was a typical dinner as Diana sat down at the table with her parents and two younger brothers. They had corn on the cob, because it was the only vegetable that her youngest brother Isaiah would eat, and coconut shrimp because it was her father, Jonathan's, favorite. Her mother, Katherine, sat there scolding her brother, "Christian, no eating before we say grace!"

     "But Mom, I'm hungry!"

     "You can wait to eat. The lord will not let you starve, Christian."

     Diana enjoyed dinner with her family. After grace, she could listen to her family about all the things they did that day and she could genuinely relax without fear of being judged.

     "Would you like some more shrimp, Diana?"

     "No thank you, Dad."

     "Are you sure love?"

     "Most definitely."

     Isaiah went on about his days at school as if he never had a care in the world; he could play with friends and never got into any trouble. Jonathan congratulated him on learning the alphabet so quickly.

     Katherine talked about book club and the bake sale that she was planning to help fundraise for Christian's school dance. Christian rolled his eyes and she scolded him again.

     "That is no behavior for a young man, Christian."

     "Yes, Mom," Christian replied snottily.

     Jonathan then turned to Diana in hopes that Christian would stop giving sarcastic remarks at the dinner table.

     "What about you, Diana? Have you found yourself a nice christian boy at that school of yours?"

     "Dad!!!"

     "It is a sincere question, Diana."

     Katherine decided to pitch in, "There is a young boy that walked you home today. What's his name?"

     "Jacob," Diana mumbled.

     "Are you two dating yet? He is a christian boy, right?"

     "He is a christian boy, but we are not dating, Mom."

     Jonathan and Katherine looked at each other for a moment before looking back at Diana.

     "Why not?" asked Jonathan.

     "Does he not like you? But you're so pretty and smart!" exclaimed Katherine.

     Diana looked down at her food on the table and said quietly, "That's not it."

     "Speak up, Diana," Jonathan urged.

     "He has asked me out on several occasions, but I declined every time."

     Katherine looked disappointed.

    "Why won't you just give him a chance?"

     "I don't like him."

     "You don't know that until you give him a chance. Go on one date with him. I am sure you will get along very well."

     Diana froze for a moment before nodding in agreement. She figured one date couldn't hurt and she could break up with him the next day.